ASUS M4A785G HTPC/RC via HDMI to TOSHIBA 1080P TV

gareth_mattey

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm buying a ASUS M4A785G HTPC/RC very soon and want to connect it to my Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB.

If i run a HDMI cable from my motherboard to TV, will i get 1080p quality sound and video or just the video?

Also i'm buying a SONY DAV-DZ260 5.1 SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM, just wondering whether i have to connect another cable, coxial/spdif to sound system to get 5.1 sound or would the HDMI cable do all that for me?

I know theres tons of threads on the net about this but want to know for my PC build as the motherboard is HTPC with blu-ray audio.

Many thanks

sky_gazer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
:bounce: Hey buddy I'm also in the same boat, :hello: I've got ASUS P5N7A-VM MoBo. With Nvidia 9300GT on board with HDMI, DISPLAY PORT, DVI and VGA ports. I going to buy a new Full HD LCD of 32" may be Samsung or LG. But wanted to know how will the screen resolution behave when I connect via HDMI. Depending on the resolution behaviour I will go for Full HD(1920*1080) or just HD(1366*768) model of LCD will do.

will it be possible to use that LCD as primary display ?
If its not worth it then I'll go for ASUS VK266H or AOC 619fh LCD monitors. :pt1cable:

Just to make it simple I want to know can I get the desired resolution on NEW LCD TV via HDMI cable for my PC.

j00e123

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I've just built two computers with the Asus 785. I really like them. Before I handed them over to the owners, I used them extensively. I connected them to my 61" Samsung DLP TV. They look great. Audio is also transmitted. With the bundled audio application, you can also easily choose how you deliver your digital audio. These boards have optical audio out if you'd prefer.

Concerning monitors, I also built the first with an ASUS 22.5" monitor with full 1080 and HDMI input. I was really frustrated when the monitor wouldn't underscan to fill the entire screen. Supposively, an earlier version of ATI Catalyst would allow this fairly easily, but I didn't bother since the user was just using the DVI connection. Asus wasn't any help in rectifying the situation. You would hope when you buy an Asus MB and an ASUS Monitor, you wouldn't have any issues. Not always so.

gareth_mattey

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008

Thanks for that, well the majority of the time i'd probably only be playing dvd's through the computer, so i'm sure hdmi would be fine for that but if i played blu ray i'd imagine have to connect through optical to get 5.1 sound, as from what i've heard from other people, hdmi from a pc only usually delivers 2.0 stereo.

Have to wait and see when i buy all this stuff.

johnblackstar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi guys! I've been interested in the ASUS M4A785G HTPC/RC motherboard since it was introduced. Problem is, I cannot seem to find where to purchase it online. I'm from the Philippines and ASUS does not seem to distribute the said product here and so the only option for me is to order online. Can anybody point me to the right direction please. My wife will be going to Michigan this January and was thinking maybe I could order the mobo online and have it delivered to her friend's address so she can just bring it here when she gets back. Problem is, I still don't know where to order it. I've looked for it in newegg, amazon or bestbuy but no luck. Any suggestions? I don't know that much online ordering service obviously. Thanks in advance!