Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 [VS] 2 way SLI GTS 250'S

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2009 7:35:54 AM

hai, guys am planning to buy a good graphic card but am in great confussion which one two go for, i have samsung 933sn 19inc monitor with 1360x768 as max resolution...am an graphic enthusiast in games, so just wanna play games in max resolution with ultra high settings,so which one of these could satisfy my need's...am affordable to by xfx gtx260 and two xfx gts 250..

More about : gtx 260 sli gts 250

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 7:59:18 AM

for that res one gtx 260 will be more than enough. Two gts 250 will give you more fps but at that resolution you wont see it. Also sli is not good in all games. If you are hardcore gamer better buy some bigger monitor, that will improve your gaming experience by a lot. what type of games do you playing?
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 8:01:51 AM

with 1360x768 as max resolution said:
with 1360x768 as max resolution

???

am an graphic enthusiast in games, said:
am an graphic enthusiast in games,

i'd give you a better suggestion. buy 1 gts250, then throw that monitor away and get yourself one that has a higher native resolution.

Related resources
July 7, 2009 8:18:33 AM

all sort's of FPS, LIKE COD4 , etc....
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 8:26:45 AM

+1 for 1 GTS 250...
I guess it is an LCD TV...right ??
And like others have said a single GTS 250 can easily max out all the current games @ that resolution...
But the GTX 260 is a better option just in case if you upgrade you monitor...
July 7, 2009 9:09:30 AM

now i wish i could upgrade my monitor, but there's only 22 inches t 220 hdmi monitor in the market, is there any difference b'ween 19 inches and 22..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 9:28:29 AM

yes you will see a big difference. T220 is very good monitor, most stylish and very responsive monitor for gaming. But when you buying a monitor try to buy a monitor with a original samsung panel.
xAx-xxxx Samsung panel
xLx-xxxx AU Optronics panel
xDx-xxxx CMO panel
xIx-xxxx CPT panel

July 7, 2009 10:28:32 AM

striker10001 said:
now i wish i could upgrade my monitor, but there's only 22 inches t 220 hdmi monitor in the market, is there any difference b'ween 19 inches and 22..

Monitor size___usage
19’ __________no use, is only suitable for the garbage.
22’ __________for office use, nothing more.
26’ __________you can play some games.
30’ __________perfect for games.

get a 30 inches monitor with 3 x GTX260, and your gaming experience will be improve by a lot.
a c 177 U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 11:49:16 AM

^Do not listen to this idiot!
Ever!

If you plan on a larger monitor then get the GTX260, that way the system is ready for it.
If you plan on staying with the 19" display, just a single GTS250 will be plenty.
Either will leave SLI open for the future in case you change your mind and get a larger display.
Nice spec BTW:) 
July 7, 2009 12:15:40 PM

Do not listen to coozie7 listen to me because I speak the truth. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 12:50:24 PM

Also consider your CPU if you're going to get the full value of the GTX 260 (unless like coozie said you will be upgrading soon - an upgrade next year is not soon because if you buy the GTX 260 now, by next year when you get a larger monitor, the GTX 260 will be almost half price, probably 12 months from now $99 or less.)
July 7, 2009 3:12:46 PM

successful_troll said:
Monitor size___usage

get a 30 inches monitor with 3 x GTX260, and your gaming experience will be improve by a lot.

i don't afford to buy such a great gaint monitor of 30, am no planning to have a home theatre either, and am not a game freak... just wanna experience some hd gamming that's all and 3 gtx 260 would costing around $500 right, am no stupid to waste such a huge in graphic cards...may be xxx gts 250 or equivalent...thanks..
July 7, 2009 3:13:50 PM

successful_troll said:
Monitor size___usage

i don't afford to buy such a great gaint monitor of 30, am no planning to have a home theatre either, and am not a game freak... just wanna experience some hd gamming that's all and 3 gtx 260 would costing around $500 right, am no stupid to waste such a huge in graphic cards...may be xxx gts 250 or equivalent...thanks..
July 7, 2009 6:18:38 PM

striker10001 said:

Well if you get a 30 inches monitor(2560x1600) you need 3x GTX260 but now you have only a monitor with 1360x768 (the resolution that I use to play games in 1999) and probably a GTS250 is fine for you because you are not a demanding person considering that you still have a 19 inches monitor(1360x768) with 9400GT.
July 7, 2009 6:26:35 PM

successful_troll said:
Well if you get a 30 inches monitor(2560x1600) you need 3x GTX260 but now you have only a monitor with 1360x768 (the resolution that I use to play games in 1999) and probably a GTS250 is fine for you because you are not a demanding person considering that you still have a 19 inches monitor(1360x768) with 9400GT.

WHAT!!! You use a 30inch monitor??!! This is my monitor...(That's me in the duvet)
http://www.podcastingnews.com/content/wp-content/upload...

30inches...sheesh, bring out the magnifying glass why dontcha :D 
AC

July 7, 2009 6:33:58 PM

@OP- you should probably listen to Coozie7, he has a moustache and EVERYTHING.
AC
a c 177 U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 7:17:46 PM

^ And a Father Christmas beard!
HO!HO!HO!
July 8, 2009 1:36:55 AM

successful_troll said:
Monitor size___usage

WTF are u the prince of england or something??19inch monitor is perfectly fine for gaming...i know so many people who play with 19'' monitors apparently they are not just suitable for garbage, because they manage to do everything they need with it...for a 30''gaming monitor you need a 600+ dollar graphics configuration to be able to handle that resolution...ur either extremely picky (like a king or royalty) or just bill gates business partner. I went from a 17''monitor to a 23'' monitor and my gaming experience improved a bit...i mean the higher resolution forced me to spend much more a new GPU so I could see a couple inches more on the edge of my screen. I bet you 99.9% of people in america who play games...do it on a 24'' monitor or less and play games perfectly fine. So to my conclusion ur a very narrow-minded person and whatever bad terms coozie7 called u, i agree with him cause he is right lol :D 

-OH And I forgot to mention something, when u said a 22'' is suitable for office use and nothing more, 99% of the corporate business world in the United States and mostly the world work on 15-19'' monitors, few work on 20-inches and some people in management work on bigger then that. Only scientists and market people mostly use big monitors in the business world for there custom needs.
July 8, 2009 5:02:44 AM

so a single xfx 250 gts is enough for my 19 inch monitor for all ultra settings.....so what is the use of sli....
July 8, 2009 5:52:58 AM

SLI is a marketing gimmick to sell more graphic cards. 2x the $$, 2x the power usage, 2x the heat for less than 50% performance gain. It's usefulness is rather limited. Some will argue that it's a good upgrade option, but by the time you need to add a second card new and better cards at low price will be out. Just my 2 cents.
July 8, 2009 5:59:13 AM

yeah i think your right about that man..,why sli, why don't they manufacture all those technology dumped in one card... ex: there in no huge difference b'ween gts 250 and 9800 gtx except the money right .....
July 8, 2009 6:02:26 AM

i should have thought this before i bought a sli m-board, psu just wasted money...
July 8, 2009 7:49:29 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
WTF are u the prince of england or something??19inch monitor is perfectly fine for gaming...i know so many people who play with 19'' monitors apparently they are not just suitable for garbage, because they manage to do everything they need with it...for a 30''gaming monitor you need a 600+ dollar graphics configuration to be able to handle that resolution...ur either extremely picky (like a king or royalty) or just bill gates business partner. I went from a 17''monitor to a 23'' monitor and my gaming experience improved a bit...i mean the higher resolution forced me to spend much more a new GPU so I could see a couple inches more on the edge of my screen. I bet you 99.9% of people in america who play games...do it on a 24'' monitor or less and play games perfectly fine. So to my conclusion ur a very narrow-minded person and whatever bad terms coozie7 called u, i agree with him cause he is right lol :D 

-OH And I forgot to mention something, when u said a 22'' is suitable for office use and nothing more, 99% of the corporate business world in the United States and mostly the world work on 15-19'' monitors, few work on 20-inches and some people in management work on bigger then that. Only scientists and market people mostly use big monitors in the business world for there custom needs.

My rules are correct about the “Monitor size___usage” but in reality a few people follow my rules because many people are miserable and narrow-minded.

Every person that respect him self must follow the following rules:

Monitor size___usage

Graphic card___________usage
HD4850 / GTS250_______basically is for garbage but you can play a few games very miserable.
HD4870 / GTX260_______games will play like crap for crap. That is for very poor gamers.
HD4890 / GTX275_______games will play like crap. That is for poor gamers.
HD4870x2 / GTX295_____mainstream. That is for normal gamers.
3x HD4890 / 3x GTX285__perfect for games. That is for wealthy gamers.
July 8, 2009 8:10:46 AM

successful_troll said:
My rules are correct about the “Monitor size___usage” but in reality a few people follow my rules because many people are miserable and narrow-minded.

Monitor size___usage

HD4850 / GTS250_______basically is for garbage but you can play a few games very miserable.
HD4870 / GTX260_______games will play like crap for crap. That is for very poor gamers.

ok Successful_troll, there won't be anyone spending in buying ur idea of configuration on his own salary , u obviously don't care about prices do u!

July 8, 2009 8:19:41 AM

striker10001 said:
ok Successful_troll, there won't be anyone spending in buying ur idea of configuration on his own salary , u obviously don't care about prices do u!

For gaming only the best of best will do.

edit:
PC gaming is not an expensive hobby actually is a very cheap. Even if your salary is only 1500$ you CAN afford to spend 3000$ every year for a new PC (250$ per month 250x12=3000$) really 250$ per month is nothing.
July 8, 2009 9:07:33 AM

1960894,24,405120 said:
ok Successful_troll, there won't be anyone spending in buying ur idea of configuration on his own salary , u obviously don't care about prices do u![/quot

Successful troll has hooked another one! He has found fertile fishing grounds, don't bite!!!
Good entertainment though ;) 
AC
July 8, 2009 9:53:03 AM

ac3144 said:
Successful troll has hooked another one! He has found fertile fishing grounds, don't bite!!!
Good entertainment though ;) 

Seriously I am not trying to entertain people here. I am trying to tell some very important rules/facts here.
July 8, 2009 10:27:55 AM

successful_troll said:
Seriously I am not trying to entertain people here. I am trying to tell some very important rules/facts here.

I agree wholeheartedly with your crusade for betterment...
You won't get me;)
AC:) 
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 1:01:59 PM

i have a HD4870 and a 23" 1080P Asus monitor, works for me
July 8, 2009 3:30:51 PM

successful_troll said:

Monitor size___usage

mhm...thats why a GTS250 can max out all games except for crysis on 1080p...u call that garbage. OH oh and I respect my self and I have 23'' monitor, and its amazing for gaming, its has a true widescreen ratio 16:9 and its perfect to game at so, as I said earlier, its not us that dont repect ourselves, its u that respect urself to much cause you are think you are royalty or something i guess, and plz dont spread your ideas to people, put them into the right direction instead.
July 8, 2009 4:36:30 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
mhm...thats why a GTS250 can max out all games except for crysis on 1080p...u call that garbage. OH oh and I respect my self and I have 23'' monitor, and its amazing for gaming, its has a true widescreen ratio 16:9 and its perfect to game at so, as I said earlier, its not us that dont repect ourselves, its u that respect urself to much cause you are think you are royalty or something i guess, and plz dont spread your ideas to people, put them into the right direction instead.

Now what you are trying to put people into the right direction by saying nonsense that a GTS250 can max out all games on 1080p? Obviously you are a BIG BIG liar.

Let me define “can max out all games”: I can play all games with UltraHigh setting with at list 4xAA and get minimum 60fps.
Now when you mean “can max out all games”: you can play all games with medium setting with noxAA and minimum 20fps and average 35fps.

a c 177 U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 4:42:48 PM

^oops.
Everyone: Duck and cover!
July 8, 2009 4:54:58 PM

coozie7 said:
^oops.
Everyone: Duck and cover!

I think only we have the insight Cooz....
AC ;) 
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 6:54:49 PM

LoL a 30 inch monitor and 3 GTX 260's... Umm did he hit the lotto? Cash to BURN? I dont think so....

I have dual 250 GTS's in Sli using a DELL 24" Ultrasharp and as far as gaming I max out anything I want with no hiccups....Of course Crysis, Farcry and GT4 wont run as smooth as CoD4 and other less intensive games but for now its more than enough.

Just posting for reference....
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 7:00:26 PM

successful_troll said:
Now what you are trying to put people into the right direction by saying nonsense that a GTS250 can max out all games on 1080p? Obviously you are a BIG BIG liar.

Let me define “can max out all games”: I can play all games with UltraHigh setting with at list 4xAA and get minimum 60fps.
Now when you mean “can max out all games”: you can play all games with medium setting with noxAA and minimum 20fps and average 35fps.

Very true....I agree... of course when I say "maxxed out" it normally means no xAA whatsoever....
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 7:03:18 PM

successful_troll said:

Monitor size___usage

HAHAHA very funny... Kudos on this one....
July 9, 2009 12:05:35 AM

Successful troll is very smart. I think I'll throw my 24" monitor and GTX 260 in the garbage now. I'll buy 2 295s now. Maybe that will be enough?
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 1:48:34 AM

striker10001 said:
so a single xfx 250 gts is enough for my 19 inch monitor for all ultra settings.....so what is the use of sli....

A single GTS 250 would not have a prayer maxing out games such as Crysis, Stalker CS, Arma II, and Supreme Commander FA. And at that resolution, I couldn't tolerate no FSAA, which enabled adds more demands to the GPU. You want max details (and to enable AA/AF) don't skimp on the graphics card.

As someone who has gamed on SLI 8800GT for 1.5 years and tested many SLI configs, I don't agree with those who say it's a waste or marketing gimmick. Fact is, if you have an SLI mobo, more often than not SLI'in GTS 250's or GTX 260's would provide better performance than a single card of similar cost. No need for 100% scaling across the board to make it a bargain. 30-80% scaling in most games can put it at best bang for that price range just like crossfire HD 4850's. Now, if you are factoring additional cost for the mobo, then the picture can change. Do you already have an SLI Mobo?

Granted, at your resolution in all but a few titles you'll need to crank FSAA to truly see a benefit. What I have often seen SLI/Crossfire do is allow a bump in resolution, or allow 4xaa with better fps vs no aa with a single card. So you need to tweak your settings (and feel that's a benefit) to make it worth it. SLI can scale very well in some levels of crysis at 1024x768 (I tested this). The big SLI turnoff for me is not scaling, it's mobo options. My SLI mobo limits this sweet Q6600 to 3.2GHz when it goes far higher on other Intel chipset boards. Unless you are buying a X58 (core i7) setup, SLI usually means the most popular/best overclocking mobos need to be ignored.
July 9, 2009 3:50:29 AM

60fps is no need the human eye cannot notice past around 35 lol
July 9, 2009 7:24:27 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
60fps is no need the human eye cannot notice past around 35 lol

Seriously now if your eye cannot detect more than 35fps then you have serious problems with you eyes.

An eye exam will help. :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 7:25:14 AM

Fact is, if you have an SLI mobo, more often than not SLI'in GTS 250's or GTX 260's would provide better performance than a single card of similar cost.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVGA 01G-P3-1282-TR GeForce GTX 280 Superclocked 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
This card is $275, even cheaper $255 if you do the rebate.

Would you agree that it's a better value than 2 GTS 250s SLI for about the same price?
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 7:37:03 AM

Dual GTS 250's = 256 Stream Processors 128 x 2

GTX 280 = 240 Stream Processors

I would say they are about the same. But i might be wrong
I am currently using dual 250's 1 GB (each) and they work fine. More than enough for my needs.
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 7:39:33 AM

successful_troll said:
Seriously now if your eye cannot detect more than 35fps then you have serious problems with you eyes.

An eye exam will help. :) 

I agree, there is a big difference between 35 and 60 frames trust me....
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 11:52:50 AM

hundredislandsboy said:
Fact is, if you have an SLI mobo, more often than not SLI'in GTS 250's or GTX 260's would provide better performance than a single card of similar cost.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVGA 01G-P3-1282-TR GeForce GTX 280 Superclocked 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
This card is $275, even cheaper $255 if you do the rebate.

Would you agree that it's a better value than 2 GTS 250s SLI for about the same price?

Had it been a GTX 285 (55nm - less consumption/heat, higher clocks) it would have been a closer call on value. Isn't that still kinda expensive for a GTX 280 considering the 260's and 275 prices? IF price and performance are about equal I would favor the single card for sure. But price/performance are not equal.

On value, keep this in mind. You can get GTS 250 for $99 AR with COD5. This pair will more often than not beat that GTX 285 up until 2560x1600 (or 1920x1200 with AA). To me the real competition for SLI 250's is crossfire 4850's.

Look at each game in this review. Look at the resolution summaries at the end. (fixed link to page 1)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts25...

Now, First off these are EVGA superclocks. Second they are 1GB cards, which unfortunately comes at a $25+ premium per card over the 512MB cards and approaches the HD 4870 territory cost-wise. But forgetting competition with ATI for a second, take a look at the performance vs the GTX 285 and you will see the SLI 250's match or beat it in every game except one (HAWX) where SLI wasn't working yet. AT every resolution except 25x16, the GTS 250 SLI combo was superior in average FPS and interestingly even minimum fps. That's 15 games, and only one the GTX 285 was victorious in.

July 9, 2009 12:06:52 PM

OvrClkr said:
Dual GTS 250's = 256 Stream Processors 128 x 2

GTX 280 = 240 Stream Processors

I would say they are about the same. But i might be wrong
I am currently using dual 250's 1 GB (each) and they work fine. More than enough for my needs.

so what should i look for maxing out all settings aa's at max, it is gpu's core clock or the stream processors, what excatly those stream processors do excatly...
July 9, 2009 12:09:13 PM

is my power capable of running xfx 2x gts 250's ...my psu is 700watts is that ok.......
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 2:22:48 PM

pauldh said:
Had it been a GTX 285 (55nm - less consumption/heat, higher clocks) it would have been a closer call on value. Isn't that still kinda expensive for a GTX 280 considering the 260's and 275 prices? IF price and performance are about equal I would favor the single card for sure. But price/performance are not equal.

On value, keep this in mind. You can get GTS 250 for $99 AR with COD5. This pair will more often than not beat that GTX 285 up until 2560x1600 (or 1920x1200 with AA). To me the real competition for SLI 250's is crossfire 4850's.

Look at each game in this review. Look at the resolution summaries at the end. (fixed link to page 1)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts25...

Now, First off these are EVGA superclocks. Second they are 1GB cards, which unfortunately comes at a $25+ premium per card over the 512MB cards and approaches the HD 4870 territory cost-wise. But forgetting competition with ATI for a second, take a look at the performance vs the GTX 285 and you will see the SLI 250's match or beat it in every game except one (HAWX) where SLI wasn't working yet. AT every resolution except 25x16, the GTS 250 SLI combo was superior in average FPS and interestingly even minimum fps. That's 15 games, and only one the GTX 285 was victorious in.

Thank you for posting this, very helpfull. Kudos.....
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 2:57:39 PM

No problem :) 

Did you see the resolution scaling %'s on page 15? Pretty amazing GTS 250 SLI scaled an average of 64% at 1280x1024 (with eye candy).
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2009 3:24:07 PM

Ohh yea!! Thx for all the info... I even printed out ALL the info and reading as I reply to you....

Makes it even sweeter knowing that one of my rigs currently has dual 250's in Sli.

!