Overclock a crosshair IV Extreme with Phenom 970 Black edition

I have a crosshair IV Extreme motherboard, with Phenom II 970 Black Edition, Corsair Vengence DDR 3 16 Gigs of memory, HIS ATI PCI-Express Video.
I am running the CPU at the stock 3.5 GHZ, and memory is set at 1600 MHZ. It defaults back to 1333 if i set everything to auto.

I just want to know if anyone has simular mobo and how far did your rig overclock before problems occured.
I'm curious as to how far I can push my system without all the trial and error time.
7 answers Last reply
More about overclock crosshair extreme phenom black edition
  1. Calculated Trial and Error is the way to go as all components are different...

    I suggest reading this very informative guide to OCing your chip...

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier

    IMO..I would expect to see 4.2GHz @ approx. 1.54v....That as extreme as that chip will go.

    BTW thats a great board for OCing...the BIOS is not for the novice user however
  2. lowjack989 said:
    Calculated Trial and Error is the way to go as all components are different...

    I suggest reading this very informative guide to OCing your chip...

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier

    IMO..I would expect to see 4.2GHz @ approx. 1.54v....That as extreme as that chip will go.

    BTW thats a great board for OCing...the BIOS is not for the novice user however


    I can only get my 965 (stock 3.4ghz) up to 3.9ghz stable with my crosshair iv formula and 8th 1600 ddr3 ram and scythe ninja 3 cooler.
    Lowjack I saw in your signature that you got your 965 higher. Do you have water cooling?
  3. I wouldn't say great water cooling but yeah it is water cooled....On air I got it to 4.0 GHz no problem as well
  4. lowjack989 said:
    I wouldn't say great water cooling but yeah it is water cooled....On air I got it to 4.0 GHz no problem as well


    I will try out some of your settings and try to get 4 as soon as I have the chance and then go for 4.15 when i get water. Thanks!
  5. OK ...just be careful with the voltages..good luck man ...I hope you get it to 4.4GHZ stable that would be the shisnit
  6. lowjack989 said:
    OK ...just be careful with the voltages..good luck man ...I hope you get it to 4.4GHZ stable that would be the shisnit


    Thanks. 4.4 would definitely be shisnit. I think I would need some liquid nitrogen for that
  7. ^LN2 is for extreme overclocking, not for stable overclocking.

    I agree with lowjack989, 4.2GHz or maybe 4.3GHz on that chip are possible, just keep your eyes in the temps and don't go above 1.55V and 55ºC on load.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Phenom