Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2009 12:50:46 PM

Hello,
I have a prolem with enabling crossfire with my new HD 4850s. Here is my setup:

-XION 600 Watt Power Supply (+12V1 22A and +12V2 22A)
-Dual XFX HD 4850s with ONE cf bridge
-Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard
-OCZ DDR2 800 4.00 GB RAM
-Vista x64

I initially installed CCC without the chipset drivers and it successfully installed, seeing both cards in device manager. HOWEVER, there was no menu for crossfire enabling. Also, when I went into Information-> Display Hardware, there was a primary 4850 and a disabled adapter - 4850. When I plugged in my monitor cable to either card, there was an output. I also checked each card individually and it worked flawlessly. Then, this morning, I installed Intel's chipset utility and uninstalled CCC 9.6 and installed it again. Now, the computer cannot load the drivers for the cards. What is wrong with this? What would I need to do to make crossfire show up in CCC?

Thanks

More about : crossfire issue dual 4850s

a c 169 U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 8:16:03 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :) 
Since at first u managed to install Cat 9.6 and after that u couldn't then i would recommend u to do a clean reinstall
first of all, go to add/remove programs and remove the VGA driver from there then download and install Driver sweeper from here:
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Reboot and go to safemode and open driver sweeper,put a tick in "ATI" box and click clean then reboot and normally go to windows and install the VGA driver,after it finished reboot and its done.

Also can u test the cards with 2 CF bridges?
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 8:31:59 PM

There is no reason to use 2 bridge connections, the second doesn't do anything for double crossfire. It is only required to allow communication to a third or fourth card. The same information is sent over both for double.
Related resources
July 7, 2009 8:34:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have removed the 9.6 and tried older versions of the CCC as well. I just purchased a new P45 mobo today, and I will see if that helps.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2009 8:39:40 PM

When did you purchase teh 4850's? I ahve seen a bios issue being the cause of this problem (was for me with a couple borked 4870's). This shouldn't be the case in latest ones though.
July 7, 2009 8:56:51 PM

I have got the same problem with my Asus TOP 4850. Only one was enable... the second one...

Here what you need to do...

-Disable the second one
-Enable the first one
-Enable the second one
-Go to CCC and Enable CF

If it works, you screen will go black and blink back to your desktop.

Vista 64 is a stupid OS. It install the first card, the second card and enter into conflict because it recognize 2 cards without the drivers installed. It took me a good day to understand what was wrong.
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 5:27:58 AM

daedalus685 said:
There is no reason to use 2 bridge connections, the second doesn't do anything for double crossfire. It is only required to allow communication to a third or fourth card. The same information is sent over both for double.

But in some forums i read that sometimes its required to use both bridges,it may not work always but its worth the try
July 8, 2009 12:49:06 PM

I fixed the issue. It seems my motherboard was faulty. I bought a nice Gigabyte P45 Motherboard and it is working perfectly.
a c 169 U Graphics card
July 8, 2009 3:00:17 PM

Glad to hear it :) 
!