Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have a GTS 250 graphics card. I also have a Phenom ii 545 processor. If i was to upgrade to a phenom ii 720 which is a tripple core would i possibly see an increase in my games. The games i am playing are Turok and Crysis and more but i want to see an increase particularly in these two games by 5 or more FPS. Turok has vertical syncronising forced on so i can't turn it off. I often get 40 FPS sometimes on it, i play at a 1280 x 1024 resolution with 4aa and 8 fsaa. If i were to overclock the pii 720 to 3.2ghz would i possibly get at least 5 FPS increase in my games, i am going to buy the pheom ii 720 anyway because i can afford it but i want to know if it is actually worth it combined with my current graphics card. I have my current p II 545 overclocked to 3.6ghz, i wonder if i could clock the 720 to that, not increasing the voltage more than 0.5.

Well according to the charts on this web site, most games that can use more than 2 cores will see a major gain in performance with 3 cores.

Although if your looking for more fps then i would suggest either sli another 250 card or getting a more powerful card.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Will i still not see an increase in FPS. Especially if i have my phenom 720 overclocked to 3.6ghz. Which my 545 is at currently. I'm not really interested in more performance for applications, because all i really use my computer for is gaming and web browsing. My motherboard has one pci express slot, the computer is a HTPC cube case. But it is souped up lol, excellent cooling for the size and plenty of space for a decent graphics card. Just that i can't stick a wider heat sink and fan (but taller would do). I get temperatures of 28 to 40 degrees with my current cooling system with the cpu.

Not really. Unless you have lot of background programs running then you may see boosted performance. although for that anti lasing being active the game mainly running off the gpu and not the cpu. So you may or may not see an increase with more cores.