Do I Need Win -7 64 Bit 'Pro' To Use More Than 8 G's RAM?

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello,

I've read somewhere that I need to go up to Windows 7 - 64 Bit 'Professional' to utilize more than 8 Gigs of RAM, and that Windows 7 - 64 Bit Home Edition won't do it.

Now I know for sure that I need to go to a 64 Bit OS to do that, but I've read both opinions about Win 7 'Home' vs. 'Pro'.

Of course Microsoft's web site is vague, & although it says [in not so many words] that Home Edition would do it, I'd like to be more sure.

Anyone know for sure?

I'm about to build a DAW and am thinking of going up to 16 Gigs RAM, and it looks cheaper for me to install Win 7 - 64 'Pro' now than it would be to do 'Home Edition' and than upgrade to 'Pro'.

Thank you,

James

drbasa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

With Windows 7 Home Premium you can use up to 16GB of ram. I think it is safe to say you will be fine. I have 6 GB on my desktop and 2 GB on my laptop and I have no hiccups to issues. I use my desktop for all of my power use, and my laptop for light engineering programs and web surfing.

Source:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I just noticed this on the first linked page:
Physical processor support =
'1' Home Edition.
'2' For Pro Edition.

The i7-2600k is ok to use in either case, correct?

A=Home Basic B=Starter C=Home Premium D=Professional E=Ultimate

Physical processor support:
A=1 B=1 C=1 D=2 E=2

Processor core support:
A=Unlimited B=Unlimited C=Unlimited D=Unlimited E=Unlimited

So the i7-2600k is a single CPU with 4 cores [and 8 threads].

Am I correct on that?

That is for MOBOs with more than 1 CPU socket -- not the number of cores within a single CPU - so yes the i7-2600 is fine just would be limited to one on Home edition or 2 i7 2600's on the Pro edition if your MOBO had 2 CPU sockets. Like the MOB below :

ASUS-039-First-Dual-1366-Socket-Mobo-Spotted-at-CeBIT-2009-3.jpg

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Do you think that a board [like the one pictured] with
2 - i7's would be way overkill for a DAW computer?

Before I build, what would I look for in the MOBO's description lines that would designate whether it will hold 2 CPU's vs just one?