Sidewinder x5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
I just bought a new sidewinder x5 mouse for my pc running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. However I can't get it to run the installer for the software due to a compatibility issue but on the windows site http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Microsoft%209Button%20SideWinder%20X5%20Mice&v=Microsoft&uid=ARB-00001&l=en-US&pf=1&pi=4&c=Mice%2c%20Keyboards%20%26%20Input%20Devices&sc=Mice&os=64-bit it is listed as a compatible mouse with this version of windows. Any suggestions on how to get it working.

Solution
"Try different usb port(in the back), maybe it is defective mouse."

Must have been, it was the end of the rope...

At least its done, huh : )

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Yes I have this driver as well I have tried the 8.0 driver rather than the 8.2, only difference being I used the 64 bit version of those drivers, (because the 32 bit won't run) and it seems to install but the mouse still doesn't seem to work after it has installed. I can't run the setup at all from the cd that came with the mouse when I run setup that is when I get the compatibility message otherwise I can install the drivers and when I plug in the mouse windows claims to properly install the drivers.

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
This mouse has never run on my computer because when i tried to install the software from the cd I got the compatibility message and have since tried to download drivers and all that good stuff which has so far been unsuccessful.

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
My computer recognizes that the mouse is there when I open the program microsoft mouse and if i look at the control panel device manager it also shows up there. However the only mouse to actually work is my touchpad which I can not use for all purposes hence me buying this mouse in the first place. Any other ideas?

Well, since u have x64 system and u installed x32 drivers first, tell me the way u have removed them. That's probably why it doesn't work proper.

1.Can u restore PC to the time before u did installed the first driver?

2.Than run CCleaner for registry cleaning
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

3.Than install new driver x64.

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Okay so I restored my computer to well before I had purchased this mouse I used the CCleaner to clean my registry and installed the driver again and it leaves me in the same spot the mouse shows up as a device in control panel and when I open up my mouse option it shows up there as well and it claims the device is working properly but from my point of view it is not working at all. I can customize the buttons on it and set all the properties for it but I can not click scroll or point at anything with the mouse even if I disable my touchpad. The usb mouse does not show up in the synaptics device settings could that have anything to do with my mouse not working?

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks mate didn't have anything else plugged in while installing it I have tried all of my usb ports in the same manner. I have also ran it in x64 vista and x64 xp to no avail. I will probably partition my hard drive run my old copy of xp and see if it will work on that just to see whether its the mouse or the operating system then I will return once I have an answer. THanks again though for some fresh suggestions that didn't come to mind. Cheers then laddy.

chull101

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Thanks again for all your help as it turns out after all that trouble it was just the mouse itself. Upon taking it back and getting it tested by them after my two operating sytems didn't work it didn't work on their machines either. The store tested another one and I had my laptop there plugged it in and work on both operating systems. So there was apparently nothing we could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.