Hello, problem with I think motherboard

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Greetings, I have tried everything and fear I have to buy new motherboard, I start up my computer and I hear beep and about 4 seconds later beep. nothing shows up on my screen at all, I tried many different things to fix it to no avail, ive taken out the battery and reput it in, I have taken out all ram sticks but one and tried it in each slot each stick, nothing works, anything else I can try? Is the problem even the motherboard?

List your system specs: motherboard maker and model number, memory brand type and size, power supply make and wattage along with 12v rails on the label, video card, and processor. And finally, what you've done to your system lately to deserve this.

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

Ok sorry, im new to this my motherboard is from GIGABYTE its model ga-ma780g-ud3h my memory is kingston ddr 2 1 gig sticks.Thermaltake PSU 430 watts, video card is 8600 geforce gt, processor is amd dual core 4400 black edition right now im trying to turn it on I unplugged the card, and everything but 1 ram stick so all I have in now is the processor power supply, hard drive, one stick ram and the CPU fan it still gives me beep two sec later beep two sec later beep. Lately the last thing I remember doing is updating windows 7 I run dual OS when I start up my comp I can choose windows 7 or windows xp, I updated 7 normally.

Im not sure what rails are but it says 18a and 0.8a does that make sense? thank you

Also, I have used this comp for about 6 months just fine nothing wrong.

I run dual OS when I start up my comp I can choose windows 7 or windows xp, I updated 7 normally.

Try using the XP CD to repair the boot sector.

In BIOS, set the first boot device to DVD, insert the XP installation disk, save and exit. When prompted to 'press any key to boot from CD' press any key at that time. From the first XP installation console, choose Repair XP. From that command prompt, type in FIXBOOT and enter.

See FIXBOOT.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Maybe the HD is dead. Perhaps try a different video card. Or, the 780G has onboard video, plug the monitor in to the onboard connector. Did the problem you are having start after you installed new hardware, video card etc., or just random one day when you turned the system on?

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
right now im trying to start it without any monitor plugged in i updated windows 7 and then next time i went to turn on it does this, fans run and everything but even with no vid card or monitor in it still beeps, i havent installed new hardware in about 6 months

do you think my power supply could be half dead and just can only power up the fans? is that possible? i havent replaced PSU in 4 years, thats the only thing that wasnt replaced within last 6 months

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
well I tried with new power supply it still does not work so I guess my motherboard is broken, is there anyway I can send it in for repairs or something? I dont have a receipt but i bought it abouta year to 6 months ago

You mentioned you removed the MB battery. Did you reset the CMOS jumper too? Also, did you attempt to update the BIOS at any time. If the MB 'beeps' it is working. If it did not beep, it would be defective. The CPU is also working or the beeps would not sound. Have you tried a different video card other than the 8600GT? Have you tried a different monitor?

Well, a CMOS jumper reset will likely fix the problem and your computer will work again. Instructions are in the MB manual. Shut down the system and unplug it from the wall. Remove the MB battery. Locate the CMOS jumper on the MB (near the battery). Use a magnifying glass if needed. Use a pair of needle nosed pliers and move the jumper from default to reset for a few seconds. Replace the jmper to default. This will default the BIOS and likely fix the problem. Your MB is working if BIOS error beeps are sounding.

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
hey sorry but I am new to this, i found where it says CLR CMOS its two pins, now the instructions you gave me has 3 pins, what do I do with these two pins? Do I push them together ?

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
ok I did that I unplugged the power,removed battery for 5 mins, put the pins together, for 10 seconds, with no battery in it, put the pins back to normal put back in the battery, still same beeps

Manual page 7 MB layout diagram. Page 27 explains how to clear clear cmos and reset BIOS to default. Apparently Gigabyte does not require a reset of the cmos jumper (why they have one I don't know). I do not own Gigabyte MBs so I am not familiar with their 2 pin cmos jumper system. This is what you need to do. Unlug the system from the wall. Remove the battery for at least 10 minutes or more. Press the power on switch to discharge the PSU. If this does not solve the prolem. Replace the battery with a new 2032. Von's or Microcenter carries the battery. Beyond that the MB could be defective or damaged.

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ma780g_ud3h_e.pdf

gigadude101.jpg