Hello, problem with I think motherboard

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Greetings, I have tried everything and fear I have to buy new motherboard, I start up my computer and I hear beep and about 4 seconds later beep. nothing shows up on my screen at all, I tried many different things to fix it to no avail, ive taken out the battery and reput it in, I have taken out all ram sticks but one and tried it in each slot each stick, nothing works, anything else I can try? Is the problem even the motherboard?

My motherboard is from GIGABYTE its model ga-ma780g-ud3h my memory is kingston ddr 2 1 gig sticks.Thermaltake PSU 430 watts, video card is 8600 geforce gt, processor is amd dual core 4400 black edition right now im trying to turn it on I unplugged the card, and everything but 1 ram stick so all I have in now is the processor power supply, hard drive, one stick ram and the CPU fan it still gives me beep two sec later beep two sec later beep. Lately the last thing I remember doing is updating windows 7 I run dual OS when I start up my comp I can choose windows 7 or windows xp, I updated 7 normally.

Im not sure what rails are but it says 18a and 0.8a does that make sense? thank you

Also, I have used this comp for about 6 months just fine nothing wrong.

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
well I tried everything nothing works, now I am thinking maybe the power supply is just running the fan but wont give it anymore power is this possible? my manual says that the beeps im getting indicates a power problem

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
If you have another PSU available I would try it. If not you can get a PSU tester pretty cheap. I think for about 10.00. 18a 12v rail is pretty low. As PSU's age they get less efficient, a PSU that is barely powerful enough in the beginning will usually cause problems in the future. Cheap PSU's usually cause more problems than most people realize. A good source of power will reduce a lot of instability in a system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899887102&cm_re=power_supply_tester-_-99-887-102-_-Product

I would go ahead and rma the board to gigabyte online. If you talk to a person, say as little as possible; just tell them the board won't post. They may make you jump through hoops and charge a small handling fee, but stick with it. It will take 2-3 weeks from the time you send it to getting a replacement back. A true pro at another website said gigabyte quality is hit or miss; he prefers not to use them based on his client's experiences and his. I use asrock, msi, biostar, or ecs boards. Asus is ok, but I won't pay a premium for them. I never pay a premium for boards; they're all tested and assembled the same.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
So were you able to run windows 7/windows XP with no beeps?
it does sound like a power problem.just a question,maybe stupid but good to ask, did you do any overclocking?if so,make sure to reset any changes in BIOS or clear CMOS.
you can't just tell them that the board won't post if it was working fine for 6 months.they test it if you send it to them.If the board was brand new-out of the box,would be different.

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

yes up until yesterday i could run windows 7 and xp whatever I chose , I do not overclock. I cant get anything to show up on screen, when I bring power to my mobo my keyboard lights on, so that means the bios is telling it to light up right? my manual says continous short beeps like this is a power problem. But I figured if the fans were running it couldent be this, is that true?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Dont trust your PSU just because the fans are running,it would be good to try with another one,and then you will see the difference,or not...
in that case the motherboard would be dead,it happened to me once,so i bought another psu,and after installing it the B**ch wont post.so i had to throw it to the junk.If you have a psu that meets the required to make that mobo work, try it on.good luck.

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
well I tried with new power supply it still does not work so I guess my motherboard is broken, is there anyway I can send it in for repairs or something? I dont have a receipt but i bought it abouta year to 6 months ago

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Damn...where did you buy it? if you bought it online you should be able to RMA it, to send it to them,but i don't know if they will fix it,-When you request your RMA,they send you a code so you send the package to them with that number on it,so they can work,and know what is it when they receive it-.i don't really think they will repair it for you,they just test it and decide if you should get a replacement board,(if they see anything modified they will tell you that not,you have to pay for a new board,in that case)but i dont think you did anything like that.Good luck man.

KrakenUO

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I bought it at microcenter I just got my receipt, im going to try to reset cmos before I do anything, how would I do this? remove the battery and then what? its confusing theres so many parts inside ive never reset before. I looked at my manual but still kind of confused, thank you, also im under 1 year warrenty I think and I should be able to send it in

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
OK!nice one.Unplug the power cord,make sure theres not power attached to it.take that little battery out,the you have to find a jumper that says Clear CMOS,it should have 3 pins,and the jumper attached to pin 1-2,you'll have to put it on pins 2-3 for about 5 seconds,and then move it back to pins 1-2.
put the battery back on,plug the power cord back on,and see if it works,it should have done a reset.