Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3 Kinds of Sims players, says Tim Le Tourneau

Tags:
  • Sims
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:20:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I watched the video interview on www.thesims2.com of TLT at E3. TLT says
about 12 times that Nightlife is about getting your Sims out of the house,
which I thought was funny, almost implying *we* should be getting out of the
house, but then where would Maxis be? lol

Anyway, there is gameplay being shown for almost the entire time, so if
you're interested, check it out. It was just over 15 minutes long, though,
so on your way out the door is not a good time! :) 

Oh yeah, the 3 kinds of Simmers. TLT says the game's designers keep this in
mind when designing the games so as to satisfy needs for all players (ew,
they're fulfilling *our* Wants). They are:

1. Builders/Creators - spend most/all their game time designing building,
landscaping, etc. The ones that sketch out house plans on grid paper, shop
for house plans, learn to duplicate RL homes, create fantasy mansions, etc.
TLT said they think about new Build items and design feature for these
players, like the restaurant booth in Nightlife with a curvy back to create
snaking, etc. Same goes for folks who like to build and perfect Sims.

2. Storytellers - set up situations, playing same Sims for generations.
For these players, they create new social interactions, gameplay features,
etc.

3. Experimenters - trying the boundaries, the ones who took out ladder
and/or stuck Sims in doorless room, not because they are sadistic, but to
see what will happen, what the game designers put in there.

Other comments:

The Sims games are funny not because of scripting, but because of
expectations being what they are and them the Sims do something unexpected.

He said there's a card table for poker!

Karaoke machine, vampire coffin, rugs.

DJ table is back, no surprise there.

Cars can be used to go to work, instead of carpool.

Twice I heard a fire sound near the bar, out of camera range - flaming
drink?

Date Meter to monitor the evening. Dating a better way to get to know other
Sims...more of a relationship pursuit than before.

My favorite part - now you will be able to see other parts of the 'hood from
your house. I've put houses by each other just to see if you could see the
ones across the street - now we will be able to!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

More about : kinds sims players tim tourneau

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:01:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

SeaShel wrote:

> 1. Builders/Creators 2. Storytellers
> 3. Experimenters

Yep, I could think of people here that fit into each of those categories, I
would say I'm a storyteller.

> My favorite part - now you will be able to see other parts of the
> 'hood from your house.

Sounds good, makes it more realistic than having nothing. Just wondering
how this will work though, can we look around other lots? Can we see the
sims or objects etc in them? Will it eat loads more resources having to load
several lots, just to play 1?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:01:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> SeaShel wrote:
>
>> 1. Builders/Creators 2. Storytellers
>> 3. Experimenters
>
> Yep, I could think of people here that fit into each of those
> categories, I would say I'm a storyteller.
>
>> My favorite part - now you will be able to see other parts of the
>> 'hood from your house.
>
> Sounds good, makes it more realistic than having nothing. Just
> wondering how this will work though, can we look around other lots?
> Can we see the sims or objects etc in them? Will it eat loads more
> resources having to load several lots, just to play 1?

Oh yeah, it's about getting your Sims a new video card, alright...

I'm probably a Number One at heart; I used to spend loads of time building
in Sims 1. But it takes so very long, that you becomer a Number Three just
because it requires less time to accomplish the goal of messing around!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:01:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

> Will it eat loads more resources having to load several lots, just to play
> 1?

I think that's a given. :-)

Personally, I think just being able to see the neighbouring houses is gonna
be a big plus--OTOH, if the game has to actually control the sims on the
other lots, you can bet that'll slow down the game even further. I wouldn't
complain if you couldn't interact with anything/anyone on the other lots.

....although it would be cool if you could go to other lots without having to
go through the usual neighbourhood screen...
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:36:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:20:06 -0800, "SeaShel"
<seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote:

>1. Builders/Creators - spend most/all their game time designing building,
>landscaping, etc. The ones that sketch out house plans on grid paper, shop
>for house plans, learn to duplicate RL homes, create fantasy mansions, etc.
>TLT said they think about new Build items and design feature for these
>players, like the restaurant booth in Nightlife with a curvy back to create
>snaking, etc. Same goes for folks who like to build and perfect Sims.
>
>2. Storytellers - set up situations, playing same Sims for generations.
>For these players, they create new social interactions, gameplay features,
>etc.
>
>3. Experimenters - trying the boundaries, the ones who took out ladder
>and/or stuck Sims in doorless room, not because they are sadistic, but to
>see what will happen, what the game designers put in there.

Hmm... I guess I'm a builder and creator... I'm kind of an industrial
simmer. I pump out sims, educate them, build, build, build, and when
they get rich enough, design, design, build, design... and expire them
when I get bored of them hehe.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:56:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

I think that the fire thing is the new attraction measurer - apparently you
can direct a Sim to check a person out as to how much they want them.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM



"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
news:119c1a4dt17ls11@corp.supernews.com...
> I watched the video interview on www.thesims2.com of TLT at E3. TLT says
> about 12 times that Nightlife is about getting your Sims out of the house,
> which I thought was funny, almost implying *we* should be getting out of
the
> house, but then where would Maxis be? lol
>
> Anyway, there is gameplay being shown for almost the entire time, so if
> you're interested, check it out. It was just over 15 minutes long,
though,
> so on your way out the door is not a good time! :) 
>
> Oh yeah, the 3 kinds of Simmers. TLT says the game's designers keep this
in
> mind when designing the games so as to satisfy needs for all players (ew,
> they're fulfilling *our* Wants). They are:
>
> 1. Builders/Creators - spend most/all their game time designing building,
> landscaping, etc. The ones that sketch out house plans on grid paper,
shop
> for house plans, learn to duplicate RL homes, create fantasy mansions,
etc.
> TLT said they think about new Build items and design feature for these
> players, like the restaurant booth in Nightlife with a curvy back to
create
> snaking, etc. Same goes for folks who like to build and perfect Sims.
>
> 2. Storytellers - set up situations, playing same Sims for generations.
> For these players, they create new social interactions, gameplay features,
> etc.
>
> 3. Experimenters - trying the boundaries, the ones who took out ladder
> and/or stuck Sims in doorless room, not because they are sadistic, but to
> see what will happen, what the game designers put in there.
>
> Other comments:
>
> The Sims games are funny not because of scripting, but because of
> expectations being what they are and them the Sims do something
unexpected.
>
> He said there's a card table for poker!
>
> Karaoke machine, vampire coffin, rugs.
>
> DJ table is back, no surprise there.
>
> Cars can be used to go to work, instead of carpool.
>
> Twice I heard a fire sound near the bar, out of camera range - flaming
> drink?
>
> Date Meter to monitor the evening. Dating a better way to get to know
other
> Sims...more of a relationship pursuit than before.
>
> My favorite part - now you will be able to see other parts of the 'hood
from
> your house. I've put houses by each other just to see if you could see
the
> ones across the street - now we will be able to!
>
> ---
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply
>
>
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 2:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Oh God no - you'd need a supercomputer for that. No, you'll just be able to
see them rendered in the background. It'll make it feel less lonely though.

Best wishes
Maxon


"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
news:2aole.21$Ax3.4@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> Sounds good, makes it more realistic than having nothing. Just wondering
> how this will work though, can we look around other lots? Can we see the
> sims or objects etc in them? Will it eat loads more resources having to
load
> several lots, just to play 1?
>
>
!