Sign in with
Your question

Replacing MB on Emachines T6536

Last response: in Motherboards
December 11, 2009 12:11:02 AM

My sister has an Emachines T6536 that I am pretty sure the MB is fried. I tried to flash the BIOS and that didn't fix it so I am pretty sure it is toast. I want to replace the MB, which is a MS-7207 http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket... but wonder if there is a better board I could swap in instead. I'll be doing a fresh install of probably Win7. I need a board that is micro ATX, supports pc3200 RAM and socket 939. If it does not have onboard video I'll need a cheap video card. She is a college student and doesn't game or anything, just web surfing and paper writing and such. I guess onboard video would be ok for her. I'd like to spend as little as possible to get this running for her, oh yeah the HD is an IEDE so nothing with SATA either. Top end of budget is $100. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Joe
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2009 1:46:54 PM

I would avoid the ATI RS482 + SB400 board. GeForce 6100 + NF430 is a much better chipset.
m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2009 3:11:34 PM

tcsenter said:
I would avoid the ATI RS482 + SB400 board. GeForce 6100 + NF430 is a much better chipset.

I am having a hard time finding any boards with that chipset for sale. Pricewatch comes up with one and the vendor doesn't have any in stock.

-Joe
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2009 3:54:18 PM

If you want Socket 939, you're going to have to buy second-hand or refurbished. Check Ebay.

You may need to go with whatever you can find. If that's the ATI board, then so be it, but also consider that you could buy a new Socket AM2/AM2+ motherboard, CPU, and DDR2 RAM for around $150 or slightly less. You could shave off about $20 more by buying a used Socket AM2 CPU instead of new.

m
l
!