Dedicated Physx card

rkaska

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
The main card in my pc right now is a gtx 260 core 216. I was looking to use the 8800gt that i have sitting around for a dedicated Physx card. When i install the card and start my computer the monitor stays off. I can hear a good post beep and then windows login screen load. What am i missing??? I have not to long just learned about this and cant find any strait answers for my questions. All i have to do is snap the 8800gt into the board and plug in the 6pin connector and start the computer???

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I don't think you can just assign the 8800 to be a physx card. It has physx capability with CUDA, but that's only a side note when it's being used as a videocard. Besides, your gtx260 already has all that with its own CUDA...so you're wasting your time. When you're snapping the card in, your motherboard doesn't know what to do with 2 different videocards and no sli bridge/connection.

and on a side note, even if you had a dedicated physx card...not much takes advantage of that game wise.

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
You can set it as a dedicated physX, and from what I've seen, it does help.

I have a GTX295, and I used to use my 8800GT as dedicated physX until I got my TH2G

You're just having a problem with which graphics card is set as the primary, boot it up, try plugging your monitor into each DVI port until it displays, then change the primary display in the graphics settings.

rkaska

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Yes i know it works. I have seen the effect.

I tried hooking the monitor up to different dvi port. Even tried plugging it into the 8800gt and i get the same black screen. I dont know if it matters or not but this is a non-SLI motherboard. Its the GA-EX58-UD3R revision 1.0

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
How large is your power supply? While I would find it unlikely the cards would post without enough power, it is always a possibility.

During POST all capable video outputs should display the logon post screen, until windows, unless there is a specific settign in the bios for dictating which PCIe to use as primary.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Hmm, that PSU is easily enough for this...

You can try clearing the Cmos, If you overclcok you probably have all your settings memorized anyway.. and if you don't it doesnt matter :D.

Put the cards in, flip the cmos jumper (follow MB instructions if you don't know how), and see if it helps.. you would be surprised what clearing the CMOS can fix.

It is quite common for windows to get confused as to which card to use as primary (though I beleive safe mode always defaults to clone, which helps a lot), but not gettign a signal on the post is strange.

rkaska

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
well clearing the cmos worked to some extent. I installed the card and set it to dedicated physx and reinstalled drivers. But for some reason when i restart, the monitor dosnt turn on until it gets to the login screen. So that means i cant get in my bios to fix all the settings.

It sounds like the 8800GT is being read as the primary GPU; with NVIDIA cards, only one GPU output is designated as "primary", and only that output will display video prior to the drivers being loaded (windows startup).

Which GPU do you have in your primary PCI-Ex16 slot?

Try removing the 8800GT, put the 260 on the first (TOP) pcie slot, go into bios change whatever setting as far as what you had before but make sure the 260 is set to primary and turn pc off. Put in the 8800 in 2nd pci and boot....

This worked for me on 2 different boards Asus/Asrock....Hope this helps you....

Of course all of this should be done after you clear the CMOS......

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Top slot is usually primary. Clear CMOS again and switch em up. Glad you are making progress. Hopefully you don't run into issues with having the cards reveresed.