Sign in with
Your question

Setting Up SSD with Harddrive

Last response: in Storage
March 3, 2011 7:08:07 PM

My question is quite simple, "How can I set up my ssd as the main os, and my 750gb as data"? I've done some looking around on the site and have come across some useful information..but I need to be absolutely certain I can do what I want to do...

I have a 60GB OCZ vertex 2 that I would obviously like to set up as my main boot for Windows 7... I'm using a p8p67 deluxe motherboard and was told to ensure that in the bios it starts in AHCI...I think it already does, but I will need to verify it somehow.. I have a 750GB mechanical harddrive I would like to use as storage, now he is where my problem comes in
After looking at some guides and opinions...people have suggested doing the install with just the ssd plugged in first...afterwards, I'm not sure if I can just plug the old mechanical hd back in..or if more has to be done...there is some data on the mechanical drive I would like to keep, but it's not absolutely crucial...

Please let me know what I should do to get all of this done...I am aware of how to optimize the ssd to extend the lifespan..but as far as the installation and setting up the main os and slave drive, I am not entirely sure...Please help me out, I would be more than greatful

More about : setting ssd harddrive

a c 277 G Storage
March 3, 2011 7:22:45 PM

You got most of it already.

Have only the SSD attached and install the OS. Then shut down, attach the other drive, and reboot. Making that assumption that the drive is currently good, partitioned and formatted (a safe assumption since you said that there is data on it), it should show up in Windows Explorer.

If the mechanical hard drive has your current OS installed on it, there is a risk that your system will try to boot off it instead of the SSD next time it comes up. This can be addressed either / both by assuring that the SSD is plugged into a lower-numbered SATA socket and by setting up your boot priority in BIOS.

It's not really a slave drive, it's just not the one that you boot off.
March 3, 2011 7:38:23 PM

Ah I see..ok..because yeah, the larger drive has windows 7 on it already...So, I can go ahead and install windows 7 on the ssd, then get the mechanical drive plugged in and it should work, right? I can change the boot priority through the bios..so, if im not missing anything it should work ?
Related resources
March 3, 2011 7:38:39 PM

Unless you're severely mentally handicapped, it's perfectly fine to install Win7 on your SSD when it's plugged in at the same time as your mechanical HDD. All you have to do is when it (Windows Installation) asks you to choose where you want to install the OS, choose the 60GB SATA HDD. The other option will be the 750GB drive. It's a noob-proof install process if you ask me...

After you get Win7 installed, go into your BIOS and ensure that the boot order is set so that the SSD is above the HDD. After that you're good to go! Windows will boot to your SSD, and when you go to "Computer" you'll see the 750GB drive with all your old files on it.

Easy as that!
March 3, 2011 7:44:51 PM

PudgyChicken said:
Unless you're severely mentally handicapped, it's perfectly fine to install Win7 on your SSD when it's plugged in at the same time as your mechanical HDD. All you have to do is when it (Windows Installation) asks you to choose where you want to install the OS, choose the 60GB SATA HDD. The other option will be the 750GB drive. It's a noob-proof install process if you ask me...

After you get Win7 installed, go into your BIOS and ensure that the boot order is set so that the SSD is above the HDD. After that you're good to go! Windows will boot to your SSD, and when you go to "Computer" you'll see the 750GB drive with all your old files on it.

Easy as that!

Before making the thread that's actually what I was going to do..someone, however advised me to do just the ssd...so, I had to ask..but, it seems as though both are good ideas anyway... Now, after I install everything...is there a particular method involved in selecting the 750gb hard drive..say, when I install a game?
March 3, 2011 7:47:56 PM

I'd understand only using the SSD for safety's sake if you were doing a command line or minimally graphical install, like Windows 98 or XP, but the 7 install process is completely graphical and straightforward.
March 3, 2011 7:56:59 PM

So, when installing larger files..Will I be prompted to choose which drive I can select (SSD/C mechanical (d/e)
a c 277 G Storage
March 4, 2011 12:00:44 PM

PudgyChicken said:
Unless you're severely mentally handicapped, it's perfectly fine to install Win7 on your SSD when it's plugged in at the same time as your mechanical HDD.

PudgyChicken

There has been a difference of opinion on this in the forumns, and I've been too lazy to test it myself. Maybe you have already tested this? The issue is the 100 MB boot-control and recovery partition that Win7 installs when you allow it to format the installation drive. Some posters say that if you have two drives plugged in during the install, Win7 will put that partition on the other drive. Now your boot process involves two drives, not one.
Other posters believe that both partitions will be put on the installation drive.
Have you ever tried this experiment? I'd be happy to have a definitive answer.

Now, as an aside: There are many differences of opinion on the forums between people with a great deal of experience. Just because someone here has an opinion different from yours does not mean that they are severely mentally handicapped, or even wrong (often, both are equally right). An outstanding example is Tecmo34's SSD optimization guide: There are several points on which some highly skilled posters have differing takes.

So please keep it civil in the technical forums.
March 4, 2011 7:41:33 PM

WyomingKnott said:
PudgyChicken

There has been a difference of opinion on this in the forumns, and I've been too lazy to test it myself. Maybe you have already tested this? The issue is the 100 MB boot-control and recovery partition that Win7 installs when you allow it to format the installation drive. Some posters say that if you have two drives plugged in during the install, Win7 will put that partition on the other drive. Now your boot process involves two drives, not one.
Other posters believe that both partitions will be put on the installation drive.
Have you ever tried this experiment? I'd be happy to have a definitive answer.

Now, as an aside: There are many differences of opinion on the forums between people with a great deal of experience. Just because someone here has an opinion different from yours does not mean that they are severely mentally handicapped, or even wrong (often, both are equally right). An outstanding example is Tecmo34's SSD optimization guide: There are several points on which some highly skilled posters have differing takes.

So please keep it civil in the technical forums.

Lol..I can't help but feel like that was said partly in my defense...and, I appreciate it...I don't take comments like that very seriously or insulting simply because everybody has to start somewhere and we didn't come into the world knowing what we know today...so, I don't take it to heart because there are things I know and specialize in that others don't...but im glad I received some assistance, even if it wasn't in the "nicest" manner .
April 8, 2011 6:20:13 AM

Hello,
I attempted to install both drives at the same time. At first it worked out well, however after I took out my old video card to install the new Saphirre video card that had just arrived by UPS the computer started working soooo slowly. The windows logo would go on for 5-10 minutes. I then disconnected the 2TB drive and SSD drive booted so quickly that it was amazing. I still can't get my system to accept the 2TB drive. It reverts to a barely functioning level when I do. What do I need to do to get my system working with the 2TB drive included?
I have 2600K chip on the Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard.
!