Sign in with
Your question

Which PSU should I Buy?

Last response: in Components
September 20, 2009 10:35:50 AM

Which PSU should I Buy

My system Requirement is around 400W
The confusion is should i buy corsair Vx450 ( 80% eff. reviews say that it can deliver 500W )
keeping future upgrades in mind should i buy a 600W cooler Master ( 70% typically Passive PFC )
OR Tagan Stonepack TG600-U37 600W
OR Silverstone 500W ST50F-230 Strider Series.

Other PSU suggestions invited
but also suggest one of the above.

Thanx in Advance.

More about : psu buy

a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2009 11:32:25 AM

Newegg has the corsair 400w for $29.99 after rebate. My local Fry's has some antec 500w oem (just bubblewrapped) for $44.99. Of the other ps you mentioned, I don't know if any of them are standouts. I know coolermaster isn't a great brand; frys had one of their 600w for $19.99 after rebate on their anniversary sale. I had one in my hand, but just couldn't bring myself to get a lesser branded unit no matter how low the price.
a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2009 11:41:39 AM

Of the PSU's you list, definatly get the Corsair.
PSU's from CoolerMaster are very low end and I would highly recommend against them.
Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C or Antec Earthwatts for a high quality PSU.
Related resources
September 20, 2009 12:36:58 PM

sirkillalot said:
are you sure 400w ie enough ?

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

It's actually enough for most systems out there that don't have a high-end video card (sub 260/4870), as long as it's a quality 400W PSU of course.
a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2009 2:10:35 PM

outlw6669 said:
Of the PSU's you list, definatly get the Corsair.
PSU's from CoolerMaster are very low end and I would highly recommend against them.
Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C or Antec Earthwatts for a high quality PSU.

Agreed. The 450VX is more than enough for most.

@OP: List specs.
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 20, 2009 3:49:55 PM

Cr07 - You mentioned future upgrades. This is where it gets interesting. There are some new developments.

If you are interested in overclocking and multiple video cards, then the general rule of thumb is a high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can handle just about any system with two video cards operating in dual mode.

Corsair for example has a new HX750 and a new HX850 power supplies that qualified for 80+ Gold Certification. They are rated at over 90% efficiency over a broad operating range. However, as far as I know they are no yet available for purchase.

The first of the new ATI 5000 series of video cards will make it's debut on Tuesday, September 22nd. More 5000 series cards will be introduced in the future. Little bits and pieces of technical information have been leaked. So far it looks like the new video cards increase performance while power requirements are reduced by about 10% when compared to current generation cards. This is in keeping with the current push for more energy efficient pc's in the IT corporate environment. It's also the main reason the 80 Plus organisation was created. Gamers benefit also. In addition, both Intel and ATI are currently working on 32 nanometer technology capable of boosting performance while reducing power requirements further.

I would recommend shopping for the lowest price available for the Corsair VX450 right now if you are not going to upgrade for 12 months. A year from now we'll have a much better idea of new performance capabilities and power requirements.
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2009 1:31:53 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
Corsair for example has a new HX750 and a new HX850 power supplies that qualified for 80+ Gold Certification.

Apparently Corsair has listed them as certified Silver, although the 80Plus site still shows them as Gold.
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2009 2:50:30 AM

Cr07 said:
keeping future upgrades in mind should i buy a 600W cooler Master
Over and beyond upgradability, there are other reasons to buy an overspec'd power supply...

1) Efficiency. My Enermax 82+ power supply is most efficient at about half load, so by buying a power supply with twice as much capacity as I needed I'm drawing less power from the wall.

2) Cooling. A higher-capacity power supply has better cooling and can run at lower, quieter fan speeds.

3) Degradation. You need excess capacity for the power supply to deal gracefully with aging capacitors.
September 21, 2009 9:38:44 AM

good points my dear wattson
September 21, 2009 1:00:56 PM

If you don't mind playing the rebate game, I recently picked up the Corsair 450VX was $55 AR at the time, looks like the rebates gone up $5 so it's now $60 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For the same AR price, but with a much bigger rebate, you can pick up the Corsair 520HX and give yourself some extra headroom. Probably the route I would go if buying today. $99.99 shipped, $59.99 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

*I just checked the rebate for this PSU. The unit has to be purchased between September 15th and September 21st. I.e., today is the last day to get this PSU with the $40 rebate.
!