PC won't start as usual

xmx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Guys, I’m having some serious issues with my PC. This appeared 2 weeks ago and now it happens frequently. When I turn it on it gets powered up but the PC won’t boot, there’s no response. The monitor shows nothing, totally blank and the mouse or keyboard doesn’t work too. No beeps. But all the fans & HDDs are working (HDD LED and fan speeds are really static). The other thing is that I cannot switch it off from the power button (not even the reset button is working) so I have to turn it off directly from the UPS.

When I turn it on & off like this a few times it changes this behavior and starts to turn itself off automatically as soon as it is turned on. But after a few tries, eventually the PC boots with a music like 4-beeps (long-short-long-short). Then it shows an error message saying ‘Processor Thermal Trip Error’ and continues to Windows. Sometimes the PC turns itself off one more time after showing that error message and then automatically restarts in a few seconds, after that the usual boot process will happen.

If I can get to work it once then the PC runs with no problems. Can play games for hours, no crashes, no blue screens or no restarts! Also I can shut down and turn it on as usual in the rest of the day. Sleep works too. But on the next day (or after keeping the PC turned off for a long time) it will start playing weird again when I turn it on.

I tried booting only with the CPU, mobo & memory but the problem still exists. Changing the memory sticks didn’t work either. So I have to keep pushing the power button a hundred times to boot my PC. Now I’m writing this from the same PC. Had to do the same thing in the morning. I don’t think it’s good for the system at all. I believe it’s something bad with the CPU or mobo or could be the PSU too but I’m confused with this Proc. Thermal Trip Error. Anybody has any idea what’s going on?

• Intel G31PR
• Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93 Ghz, 3MB)
• 3GB DDR2
• Foxconn 9800GT
• 500W PSU (not a well recognized brand)
• Windows 7 32-bit

All temperatures are OK, nothing has been overclocked. Only 3months old except my PSU.

xmx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
All my hardware is just 3 months old. But I didn't buy a new PSU, just fixed my old one. And for the last 3 months I had no problems.

That message I get isn't actually an error message, today I noted. It says 'Warning : Processor Thermal Trip'.

I don't have a different CPU to test but I'll try to find a PSU. It's very hard to test where the problem is cuz this is really unpredictable. Today I could boot the PC in the second time I tried. !?!

xmx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
No, I didn't do anything with the PSU. I meant that I just used the old machines' one without buying a new one. As you said I think there's something to do with this thermal 'thing'. I'm waiting for a new PSU to check it out.

xmx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I found a new way. If I keep the PC running for a while (5-10 mins) despite it's not responding, it will start on the 2nd attempt without any errors!

Guys do you think it's OK to keep the PC sleep, when I'm not using it, until I resolve this problem at least? That's the only way I can keep this thing working.

xmx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hey guys sorry for the so late reply. It took more than a week to find the problem, even for the people at the place where I bought my PC. It was the mobo, yup! Thanks for the help.

shovenose

Distinguished
motherboard.
810et_motherboard.jpg

shashipriya89

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I have the same problem too. When it happen I remove my CMOS battery and
power on the PC .Many time It works. My MB =G31pr (Intel)
CPU =Dual core 2.0 (intel)
After the problem I get New Bother boad . Its also G31pr and I still Have same problem !!
I think problem is in PSU ..!!

xmx

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
In my case it was the motherboard... Since the mobo was changed the problem got solved! PSU still works fine (now in a different system though)... :)