Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1st Build. Stuck. Please Help.

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 17, 2009 1:01:11 AM

My specs are:

Cooler Master 534 Plus w/460w power supply
Asus P5Q SE Plus Mobo
Intel E8500
Geforce GTX 275 OC
WD 360 GB HD
Samsung DVD Drive

When i power up i get all the fans to turn on. The LEDs on the case. The dvd drive opened the first time but not i cannot get it to open anymore. I also get no display whatsoever. Thats with trying two different video cards. One of which i know works as i am using it right now.

Now the only problem i can figure is the ram memory. Im using Crucial branded stuff that works in my current Dell. It is 4x1GB but it says 128mb on the label. I think in the manual it says it will not work with memory built with 128mb chips. IOs that what it is referring to?

More about : 1st build stuck

June 17, 2009 1:21:14 AM

mkochjr said:
My specs are:

Cooler Master 534 Plus w/460w power supply
Asus P5Q SE Plus Mobo
Intel E8500
Geforce GTX 275 OC
WD 360 GB HD
Samsung DVD Drive

When i power up i get all the fans to turn on. The LEDs on the case. The dvd drive opened the first time but not i cannot get it to open anymore. I also get no display whatsoever. Thats with trying two different video cards. One of which i know works as i am using it right now.

Now the only problem i can figure is the ram memory. Im using Crucial branded stuff that works in my current Dell. It is 4x1GB but it says 128mb on the label. I think in the manual it says it will not work with memory built with 128mb chips. IOs that what it is referring to?


You cannot run a GTX 275 on a 460W PSU. Look there first. The MINIMUM is 550W.

The memory is not the problem. Your Mobo is simply telling you that it won't run with the ages-old 128MB modules. You're using 1024MB modules. No problem there. But to be sure, put them in another PC and run Memtest.
June 17, 2009 1:24:11 AM

Well i even switched in mt 9400 GT and it was no help. Still not getting a single beep. I've checked and rechecked the speaker wire for the mobo. Reversed it did everything. Still nothing.
Related resources
June 17, 2009 1:29:44 AM

mkochjr said:
Well i even switched in mt 9400 GT and it was no help. Still not getting a single beep. I've checked and rechecked the speaker wire for the mobo. Reversed it did everything. Still nothing.



Dead CPU? Try putting a jumper on the Clear CMOS on the motherboard for a few seconds, then boot up and see if it works.

In all truth, your mobo may be toast. Take out your memory to see if your mobo beeps or not. If not, time to RMA! ;) 
June 17, 2009 1:31:17 AM

pull out everything except for the processor, you should get a beep telling you you have no memory, if you dont get that your motherboard may be toast. If you get a beep then try to get your 9400 working enough to get you upto the bios screen then run memtest on each of the ram sticks.
June 17, 2009 1:32:55 AM

Well i think my mobo may be toast then because i am getting no beeping whatsoever.

Removed everything but the psu.

Is there a way to be sure its the mobo?
June 17, 2009 1:43:27 AM

mkochjr said:
Well i think my mobo may be toast then because i am getting no beeping whatsoever.

Removed everything but the psu.

Is there a way to be sure its the mobo?


YES. Strip down EVERYTHING other than the CPU, Motherboard, and obviously PSU/ Case. REMOVE THE RAM and the GPU. Make sure the speaker is plugged in. Boot. If you get a beep saying there's no memory, it's not the board. If you get no beeps, your board is toast.
June 17, 2009 2:58:41 AM

raybob95 said:
YES. Strip down EVERYTHING other than the CPU, Motherboard, and obviously PSU/ Case. REMOVE THE RAM and the GPU. Make sure the speaker is plugged in. Boot. If you get a beep saying there's no memory, it's not the board. If you get no beeps, your board is toast.


Not having a beep code doesn't always mean that the mobo is toast. I recently sent out my mobo for rma because of no beeps and it ended up being the processor that was dead.
June 17, 2009 3:33:18 AM

Hold on a second. Did you clear the cmos before starting it up? If not, check your mobo manual, there used to always be a jumper on the board to do it with, if there's not, remove the round silver cmos battery for a few seconds(with everything off of course), then put it back in. Also try a single stick of ram first to see if you can get it to boot, you can always add the ram back in later. But it seems sometimes seems some mobos don't like you using all 4 ram slots even though they put them in as an option.

Try these things first. The cpu could be dead, but that's unlikely. I've been working on computers for over 10 years, have my degree and my apple certification(though I started on pc's and still have one, gotta game a little right? lol)and have done many builds, as well as repair work, including laptops, and I don't know that I've ever seen a bad cpu. Try these things first, and while you are in there, make sure you've got the 4 pin cpu power connector plugged in and check all your power connections, if these are good, and still no post, then you probably have either a mobo problem, or a cpu problem. However, you may also look at PSU as the stocker could be defective. I am unsure if the dell psu would be set up for testing that build. But start with clearing cmos, memory and checking power first, then go from there.
!