Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Weird dots and stripes all over desctop (pics inside)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 8, 2009 3:03:28 PM

Ok. yesterday was my PC with no prob or anything. Today, i turned PC on, and bam, weird things apeared, that i never seen before. also, first 2 times it booted fine ( ofc still with those weids stripes and things, but still booted windoses), then i tried few more restarts, to see it will fix, but it wont boot/log anymore, it just stucks and keeps loading at Windos logo. when i reset, i get to choose to run in safe mode, looks like only way to boot up. i think its gfx (gf8800gtx), definetly not monitor, but gfx fan still runs, like there wouldnt be a prob, but windows doesnt show me/detect my gfx. heres a pictures, notice a weird vertical stripes and dots at login screen, could be a virus? but then how he infected bios window too, not just windows desctop. my gfx is 3.5 years old, and it if it would be totaly crashed/burned gfx, i couldnt see anything at all, but it still shows me images somehow, i rly dont know what is that.

PC config:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache, Retail

768Mb XFX 8800GTX PCI-E (x16), Mem 1800 MHz, GPU 575 MHz, 128 Streams, HDTV 2 x Dual Link DVI

HDD Segeate 300Gb

2x 1Gb Corsair Value Select, DDR2 PC5300 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15

Asus P5N32 SLI Premium/WiFi-AP NF590 SLI, S775, 2xPCI-E (x16), 1xPCI-E (x8) DDR2 667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional

Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU

Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24\" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey

July 8, 2009 4:08:44 PM

debesis said:
Ok. yesterday was my PC with no prob or anything. Today, i turned PC on, and bam, weird things apeared, that i never seen before. also, first 2 times it booted fine ( ofc still with those weids stripes and things, but still booted windoses), then i tried few more restarts, to see it will fix, but it wont boot/log anymore, it just stucks and keeps loading at Windos logo. when i reset, i get to choose to run in safe mode, looks like only way to boot up. i think its gfx (gf8800gtx), definetly not monitor, but gfx fan still runs, like there wouldnt be a prob, but windows doesnt show me/detect my gfx. heres a pictures, notice a weird vertical stripes and dots at login screen, could be a virus? but then how he infected bios window too, not just windows desctop. my gfx is 3.5 years old, and it if it would be totaly crashed/burned gfx, i couldnt see anything at all, but it still shows me images somehow, i rly dont know what is that.

PC config:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache, Retail

768Mb XFX 8800GTX PCI-E (x16), Mem 1800 MHz, GPU 575 MHz, 128 Streams, HDTV 2 x Dual Link DVI

HDD Segeate 300Gb

2x 1Gb Corsair Value Select, DDR2 PC5300 (667), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15

Asus P5N32 SLI Premium/WiFi-AP NF590 SLI, S775, 2xPCI-E (x16), 1xPCI-E (x8) DDR2 667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtream Gamer Fatal1ty Professional

Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU

Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24\" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey

]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1728/dscf0058z.jpg
]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4475/dscf0060m.jpg
]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2272/dscf0061g.jpg
]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2911/dscf0062n.jpg
]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7259/dscf0064q.jpg
]http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7884/dscf0066.jpg
]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3764/dscf0068d.jpg
]http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8531/dscf0069x.jpg

first try a new monitor cable

if that doesnt work, try a new monitor elsewhere to see if its your GPU

Uber :D 
July 8, 2009 5:24:48 PM

tried new monitor, exact same stripes and dots, i rly think its grafik card(heres a pic of what it shows to me)
instaled new drivers, stills ame, altho i now was ablw to boot in windows mode. also if ill move a folder, like u see in a screeen, it will quickly become all blue color..and what is this yelow mark near grafic cards name at ''device manager'' screen

Related resources
July 8, 2009 5:35:47 PM

If you select the device (8800) and right click and select properties it should tell you the malfunction or cause of the error. If it states that no drivers are loaded for this device or the device cannot start then I suggest that you download the latest drivers from nvidia and install them AFTER you are certain that any previous driver for the card is uninstalled.
July 8, 2009 5:40:05 PM

thats what it says

''This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.''

a fan is still runing, uninstaled old drivers, restarted, downloaded new drivers, instaled, rebooted, still same
a b Î Nvidia
July 8, 2009 5:54:36 PM

I can tell just from that shot of your POST screen, your video card crapped out. Sorry but you need a new video card.
July 8, 2009 6:05:44 PM

im gona try reinstal window, and if its still be same, then my video card is fked up >< only lasted 3.5 years (rip). Will keep updated
a b Î Nvidia
July 8, 2009 6:10:53 PM

I do not suppose it is still under warranty? XFX now at least offer a very long one.
Oh, and yes, what you are seeing is a hardware fault with the video memory.
If it is out of warranty and you are feeling brave this is a nice 'last ditch' option:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792.
July 8, 2009 6:47:56 PM

i bought this card at www.scan.co.uk, long time ago. dont even remember how long was waranty, and i dont find this card on their site anymore ( proly not seling anymore) to see waranty time. and all docs and box i puted somewhere that ill never gona find ( proly threw out, jees what a noob), never thought this could hapen, so i contacted live suport at xfx website, and what they said was:

''it does sound like corrupt memory in this case. If its not detected in Device Manager then it is most likely a faulty unit''
''Would advise contacting the reseller here to see if they offer any warranty on this as this card is quite far out of warranty according to our system''
'' i doubt that they will still offer warranty as this ran out last November, but worth checking with them''
'' Lifetime warranty is in the US only im afraid, for all other regions warranty is with the reseller''

sended email with pics and info to scan.co.uk gona wait and see what they will reply, prety sure they will send me to one place since waranty looks like gone

anyway, this link u posted, looks very intresting, im gona try it very soon, ty alot. (exact same problem like that guy had in a link, red vertical tripes, sign of dead video card) :( 
July 8, 2009 7:07:28 PM

video card +1
July 8, 2009 7:27:46 PM

Try reseeding your memory (pop it out and then back in). I have seen that happen which causes those lines. If that doesn't do it, try doing the same thing to your video card.

Also, maybe try a BIOS update.

Do you have an onboard video device? That is a quick and easy way to tell if it is your video card or not. Plug into that and boot up, or put in an old, extra card if you have one.
July 8, 2009 7:45:37 PM

someone else I came across had an XFX 8600 doing weird stuff too

when they took out the card and examined it - 4 capacitors had completely blown open and a bunch of others were swollen...

from your pic I can't see any bad ones

is possible something like that could be causing the problems too.
July 8, 2009 8:03:11 PM

or instead of "reseeding" anything, you could try "reseating"

*eyeroll*

July 9, 2009 4:14:52 PM

holy crap it worked !!! hahaha
i cooked it in a oven for ~10min, well, 2 parts came of, i had to reatach them again, with melting device, i i just stiked it in a pci-e slot w/o ataching sinks and stuff, and wooooot lines disapeared.

THANK YOU so much guys, especialy coozie7 for giving me this link <3
a b Î Nvidia
July 9, 2009 5:02:54 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! IT'S ALIVE I TELL YOU!!! ALIVE!!! AND THEY SAID I WAS MAD!!!HA HA Ha ha...Oops;)

Seriously, this is done widely in the electronics industy and they use special ovens. The process is called Reflowing.
They can be found on E-bay for about 250 UK Pounds.
July 9, 2009 7:44:21 PM

Awsome link thanks coozie7, was an interesting read !

People seem to have a very high success rate with this, lots of very happy people :) 

July 10, 2009 12:59:58 AM

AMAZING...kudos coozie 7 :) 
Anonymous
October 4, 2010 6:50:28 AM

Please excuse this late post - but it applies to my computer too - as of last week. Running a Medion computer on XP. The screen shots are identical.

On initial start up the Pentium graphics come in clearly. Then on DOS start so many big dots come (look like Chinese characters) that DOS is unreadable and unuseable. After a long wait, windows boots with identicle pics to the above.

Tried a system restore and got a clear useable screen - until the next reboot, when the stripes were back. I did this three times with the same result, so it can't be hardware can it? Too many coincidences.

Anyway I would appreciate any insight. Thanks. AVG finds no virus by the way.

Billyphone.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
October 4, 2010 7:00:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!