Will i7 (x58) motherboards be able to have futre cpu's?

veryhappyyes

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Intel to Start Shipping P55 Motherboards in Julyhttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Lynnfield-Motherboards,7180.html

I was planning to buy a ASUS Rampage Extreme II and a i7 Core 965 Extreme which will set me back $2568 in Australian Dollars.

If i buy those two it will set me back $2568 and if later this year or bebnning of next year they will release a motherboard which has a chipset of P55, i'll be pissed.

1. Is it worth buying a i7 CPU and X58 motherboards right now? Or should i wait for the P55 motherboards?

2. Can the i7 motherboard install newer CPU's and can the i7 CPU be installed on the P55 motherboard?

Most important question: What would you recommend, waiting for the P55 motherboard and the new CPU or should i just buy the i7 series, which will be good enough for a couple of years?

the i5 is going to use a totally different socket and is aimed at the midrange not the gamer. The x58 chipset will likely be the only one to ever be released for the i7. If intel keeps changing sockets this quick its going to make their motherboards even less appealing.

veryhappyyes

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

o.k so the i5 is for the midrange? cool

if i want my pc for games, i should stick with the x58 motherboards, i7 core cpu's?

will they release an update verion of the x58 motherboards? i've heard that the asus and gigabyte motherboards for the i7 can play up when overclocking.

If you want a PC primarily for gaming, then the i7 are not a good option because of the preice/performance factor...If you check out the gaming benchmarks in this site, you can see that they don't offer significant increase in performance than the AMD PII or Core2Q CPUs...

famciclovirrr

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

but the s775 socket is going to be discontinued, isn't it?

i have two goals for my pc;

1. trying to future proof as much as possible, especially in games. in two years i still want my x58 motherboards be able to be used even if i have to upgrade my cpu.

2. be able to fully max. out crysis 1 and crysis 2 on a 22" or 24" monitor. damn i would love to see crysis at max. quality on my monitor ;)

Rib

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
I.M.H.O. Future proofing a computer purchase is useless. Don't chase your tail trying to plan for the future of technology. Prepare the best specs for price versus performance for TODAYS technology. Then sit back, enjoy your purchase.

Agreed. If I had a nickel for all the times I hear ...wait for this to come out, or wait for that to come out...I would have a new vid card payed for in full.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ well I suppose that is one of the good points of 1366, get it now while it's cheap, have a great PC for the next year or two, then when the CPU isn't up to it, just chuck in a hexa or octo core processor and then you're good for another year or so.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
in an year or 2 i will probably upgrade my cpu to the extreme edition from i7.

I certainly hope intel stops making new sockets, its getting quite annoying.

poppawoof

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

Aloha,
I've been told by a lot of experts at many of the high end custom gaming companies that the I7's all OC to around 4 to 4.2GHZ and after that it is not feasable to have a stable system. If I thought I could OC a 975 to 4.6 to 5GHz on air or a good WC CPU cooler I would buy the 975 since I have the dough. I saw a thread where someone had OC'd a 975 to 5 GHZ on air, but I'm not sure that was for every day or gaming use. I believe it was mentioned thaat 4.6 was stable. I'm still researching all the new rigs, since the my last build was in 2003. For a high end gaming system I would go with the 920 for now, though I'm sure there are people have different ideas on that. Was that 975 OC'd with DDR3 1866 ram? :sol:

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Man. don't buy a 965, just buy a 920 and a cooler and overclock it to the same speed as the 965, that will save you so much money...