rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14574/1/

It has been a while since Nvidia announced its first venture into the world of 40nm GPUs with its mobile parts, and today we can finally see the desktop parts made on the same manufacturing process, the Geforce G210 and GT 220. Both of them are OEM products and feature a low profile PCB design.

The G210 works at 589MHz for the GPU, 1402MHz for shaders and 500MHz for 512MB of DDR2 memory. It features 16 stream processors, a 64-bit memory interface and supports DirectX 10.1, something that Nvidia marked as irrelevant not so long ago.

The GT 220 is a bit more serious and features 48 stream processors, a 128-bit memory interface and 1GB of GDDR3 memory. It works at a higher 615MHz clock for the core, 1335MHz for shaders and 1580MHz for memory. Same as the G210, the G220 has DVI, HDMI and D-Sub outputs and features active cooling.

Both of these cards should start popping up in various systems pretty soon, while the consumer oriented parts will have to wait a while.

ATI was right all along

ravsimvan

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Good for them that they realized. Still they have an uphill task ahead with apple pulling the plug. Plus in future would belong to CPU+GPU combo such as AMD/ATI and Intel.

??+Nvidia.

I think its about making the best of a bad situation. DX10/10.1 and 11 are as far as I'm aware strict super-sets of each other and DX10.1 cards will benefit somewhat from some of the features of DX11 running on a machine.
So my theory is that Nvidia know they cant get a DX11 part on to the shelves in time for the DX11 launch so they are going for the next best thing. As full DX11 support and as far as i know DX11 games will take a while to arrive, they plan to play on this fact and point out that really a DX11 card from ATI isnt needed yet and these nice new DX10.1 cards they have are just the job while we are waiting. Stops the possability of the green fans switching if teh improvements teh DX10.1 cards get proves to be significant as well.

Mactronix

Or they have just been working on DX11 parts and letting DX10.1 take care of itself, which would have been possible as to run DX11 the part must also support DX10 & 10.1 and in the timeline set by MS between the two hardly any games in development at the time and since have been implementing DX10 let alone 10.1 and the same is likely to happen with DX11. Thus there is no need for Nvida to rush the production of a part that is not going to be used.

That's possible i guess but if they had been working on it all this time then i would have thought they would be able to meet launch which according to most of the news i have seen around they just plain cant.
Anyway on that logic they would just wait and wait like an enthusiast that doesn't buy hardware because they are waiting on the next tech. ;)

Mactronix

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
i still cant belive that we're going to dx11 so soon... i mean, dx10 and 10.1 are just so new and young, alot of new games out there are still using dx9...

i think its time to slow down and wait for technology to catch up with the software. or vice versa

We cant stop and we cant slow down, M$ saw to that when they made Vista and again when they bent over for Nvidia and completely fubared DX10.
We need DX11 and we need W7 in order for computing to be able to move on again.
Everything had stagnated around XP and with no viable/worthwhile improvements both on the OS and hardware side of things sitting and waiting for DX10/10.1 to mature just isn't an option.

Mactronix

Its funny to see people saying we dont see/need/use DX10.1, as its implementation is hardly used, while at the same time, nVidia was a major player in the slow down by 1st not having full DX10 compliant HW, thus the very need for DX10.1 from the beginning.

I agree with mac, its to do the catch up, as obviously, more and more games are migrating over to the DX10+ path, with DX11 exclusive games on the horizon, and itll be interesting to see how much DX10.1 actually benefits games and card that use it.

Remember, AC's DX10.1 was pulled, with no credible evidence as to why. Its been documented the intentions (excuses) of the AC devs for their reasons, simply werent there. But the loss of fps after removal surely was.

To support a companies actions that have negative impacts on our gaming experience doesnt make sense to me, and that goes for Intel and ATI as well.

@ mac, I think youve hit it dead on, and these cards are but low end, and the impact still wont be fully seen, which still plays into the nVidia myth, that DX10.1 isnt needed or desired, even tho theyve caved on this, even in the slightest of ways

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
your right jaydeejohn

dx10.1 is practically worthless. the only game ive played it on is stalker cs and there was no change to the environment that i could see, as well as no real marginal performance boost.
nvidia is wise by not wasting time or resources on dx10.1

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4890-review-test/8
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/06/09/asus-radeon-hd-4890-voltage-tweak-review/9

It is not night and day, but how can anyone really gripe about that much of an improvement with no loss in image quality at all? 10.1 wasnt supposed to improve the look(much), just the performance and ease of developement, all of which were supposed to be implimented in DX10. Also, your subjective sample of one is less than telling. Besides that.. its stalker.. lol. I won't argue that current 10.1 games are less than stellar.. but that is not a fault of 10.1, it is a fault with the games.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
lol, I liked the first one well enough... We are talking about clear sky are we not? With so many bugs at release I don't put much faith in their ability to make a streamlined 10.1 patch.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
oh ok, i thought you were just sayin that you didnt like the game. ya i agree, both of them had loads of bugs, but the latest patch on clear sky has been pretty solid so far.