IBM Thinkpad 390x - type 2626

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2004 1:10:38 AM

I just purchased an IBM thinkpad 390x type 2626 on ebay. Here's my
problem:
-I can't seem to go past the 16 color resolution for this laptop. Is
the onboard graphics card really this sorry? or is this just a driver
issue?

thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2004 11:18:45 AM

Sherwin Ruste wrote:

> I just purchased an IBM thinkpad 390x type 2626 on ebay. Here's my
> problem:
> -I can't seem to go past the 16 color resolution for this laptop. Is
> the onboard graphics card really this sorry? or is this just a driver
> issue?
>
> thanks!

You should have this video card listed in the Video adapter settings tab.
right-click on a clear area(no icons) of the Desktop, select Properties,
Settings, Advanced, Adapter... and see if:

NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV

is listed as the video driver. If so, skip to step 18, and set screen size to
1024x768 and color depth to High-color(16bit).

If you dont have that listed, follow these steps:

The video driver is here,
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=390X&q...

(cut and paste ALL of the link)

download it, then follow the steps below to set the driver.

Windows 98
----------
1. Start Windows 98.
2. Extract the drivers to the hard disk.
3. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
4. Double-click the Display icon.
5. Click the Settings tab.
6. Click the Advanced button.
7. Click the Adapter tab.
8. Click the Change button. The Update Device Driver Wizard
dialog window appears.
9. Click Next.
10. Select Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location,
so you can select the driver you want.
11. Click Next.
12. Click the Have Disk button. The Install From Disk window
will appear.
13. In the Copy manufacturer's files from: box, type
C:\DRIVERS\W9X\DISPLAY and click the OK button to bring up
the video driver list. If you extracted the files to a different
location, specify that location instead.
14. Confirm NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV is selected in the Models:
field and click OK. If Windows 98 displays Update Driver
Warning message box, click Yes to continue to install.
15. Make sure the location is same one that you specified above, then
click Next. Windows 98 copies all driver files to your system.
16. After driver files are copied, click Finish.
17. Click Close.

18. Right click on the Desktop again. Select Settings, Advanced, then
Monitor. If it doesnt say: "IBM Thinkpad LCD 1024x768", then setting the
screen size to 1024 wont do anything.

You have to have the IBM Thinkpad LCD 1024x768 setting for the Monitor. I
dont know where your IBMLCD folder would be in the 390X, the one for my 600X
was in the Drivers\W9x\Supplement\IBMLCD folder. Direct your search for
ibm_tp.inf, that should be your LCD info file along with ibm_tp.icm. Once the
monitor is set to that file, you can set the screen size and color depth to
something other than 16 colors.

19. Select color depth and resolution.
20. Click Close in Display Properties dialog.
21. Windows 98 prompts you to restart the computer to make the display
driver change effective.

TJ
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2004 9:23:53 PM

Hello Sherwin!
I think you problem is wrong drivers for display, look on the
http://www.ibm.com/support/ .
In my 390X the display is NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV.
enjoy with ThinkPad, best regards
Marek
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 10:30:57 AM

Oh yeah i just got mine December 31,2009 ..Thinkpad 390X when i turn on thinkpad Win98se boot up but the display is at 16 colors then i have to go to ibm site to get the display driver for thinkpad 390X.. After i got the driver from the site when i turn on my thinkpad 390X i kinda browse drive C and i didn't know the driver was there already downloaded all i have to do is installed it to the windows...when i change the driver window 98se ask me where the driver location is then i did it installed asking me to restart my computer then i did then windows 98se ask me again it detect everything i didn't have the drivers installed......manage to installed the display driver it did change my display to 800X600......as default......after other thing it detect such as pci communication,pci bridge,pci sound...Well i also downloaded the sound from ibm it didn't work so i have to do some searching on wiki which driver auto is right so i downloaded "ES1946 Audio controller" driver from other site. Which this one you can choose which operating system you have..such as windows 3.1 to windows xp. This driver works fine now after i restart my computer the pci audio got detect and solve the problem about the sound.... now all i have problem is two which is have to insert the original windows 98se cd to fix that problem....

If you want this audio driver that works with thinkpad 390X:
http://majorgeeks.com/ESS_Sound_Card_ES1938ES1946_ES196...

Now every thing in win98se in thinkpad works fine on my thinkpad 390X.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 10:46:31 AM

Now after installing the audio driver which is the right one i tested the volume control on the window it seem to work but the sound i can't hear that's strange.......

Maybe the probelm is something is blocking it from making a sound.....
I'm trying to figure it out......

I also notice the time from windows after using it and turn it off for awhile the time seem to be delay mmm.... that's strange too......even though i have apply it then ok button on windows........

I hope i can solve this problem soon or slowly.......

!