Closed Solved

Gaming: Should I upgrade my Q6600 to Q9xxx?

Just for gaming...

I know that core i7 would give me more performance than any Qxxxx CPU. But I don't feel spending so much money to buy new CPU, MOBO, and RAM.

What about upgrading my Q6600 to a Q9550 or Q9650 ? Is this worth the upgrade? Am I going to notice any difference? Is the Q9xxx going to scale better with SLI video cards? or should I wait for i7 prices to drop?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming upgrade q6600 q9xxx
  1. overclock your q6600 they clock quite well
  2. Just overclock.
  3. Overclock OR get an i5.
  4. The best gaming upgrade for you would be to OC the Q6600 to 3.2Ghz+ and buy a graphics card with more vram. I had the same setup except with a 9800gx2 (2 underclocked 8800gts's) and getting a graphics card with more vram made a huge difference.

The Q6600 (oc'd) will be plenty for SLI cards, and the Q9xxx series are not worth the upgrade now. You wouldn't notice any difference.

I did find that the 680i boards are pretty bad for overclocking quads on. The max I could get was 3.2Ghz stable. Going to an x48 board allowed 4.1Ghz with the same chip (Q6600).
  5. Depending on your board, the 9xxxs might not even be an option. If you decide to buy a Q9xxx, make sure your board supports it. i5/i7 is only great for gaming if you using a multi GPU setup at high resolutions. At 16x10, there isn't much of a difference.
  6. of course you should not.
  7. 4745454b said:
    Depending on your board, the 9xxxs might not even be an option. If you decide to buy a Q9xxx, make sure your board supports it. i5/i7 is only great for gaming if you using a multi GPU setup at high resolutions. At 16x10, there isn't much of a difference.

+1, Some 680i boards will not entertain the 45nm Quads, Duals yes but Quads no.
  8. OC it up.
  9. 4745454b said:
    Depending on your board, the 9xxxs might not even be an option. If you decide to buy a Q9xxx, make sure your board supports it. i5/i7 is only great for gaming if you using a multi GPU setup at high resolutions. At 16x10, there isn't much of a difference.

Damn! I just checked, I have 2 boards 680i and none of them support the Q9xxx. So I have no other option than upgrade my Videocards or CPU/Mobo/RAM.

Thanks to your reply, otherwise I would have bought the Q9xxx today.
  10. obsidian86 said:
    overclock your q6600 they clock quite well

Unfortunately my Q6600 is B3 and it does not OC as well as the G0.
  11. Best answer
    I'm in the same position, and I'm holding fire. I've overclocked to a stable 3.2, and will make the entire move to i7 or equivalent in the new year. I can't justify dropping the price of a new processor on what is, essentially, just a stopgap. If you're feeling a bit slow at the moment, I'd suggest maybe upgrading the GPU. That way you can take the GPU with you to a new build.
    The Radeon 4870 and GTX 260 are both about the £100 mark at the moment. Both would be an upgrade from where you are, and both would do well when moved over to a new system with a 2nd card for SLI/Crossfire.
    At least, that's my plan. I will probably get a rush of blood to the head in the new year and spend a month's wages on a new uber rig. Because I'm a consumer whore.
  12. Thank you all,

I thought that my old Q6600 was already a crap CPU, but I guess that it is still good..

@DeeTee_uk

you are right, a GPU upgrade might be the best choice for now. Like you, I would want to wait for price to drop, before upgrading the whole system to X58/i7/DDR3.
  13. crap ?

huh that thing is one of the best ever made...

dont evn think about it !
  14. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Intel i7 Product