OC a P7N type mobo

bizjer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hi All,

Have just joined as Im scratching my head over this overclocking lark. I have previously been able to overclock my pc but i now seem to have hit a wall with it. I will post my rig etc below and then goo through what ive done so far (with no luck! ) and hopefully get some good feedback!

CPU - Intel Q6600 - G0 Stepping @ 2.4g
VID - 1.3250
Cooler - Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2

Ram - 4 x 1gig DDr2 6400 - OCZ SLI Ram @2.1v

MOBO - ACER MC72XE - Rebranded P7N Diamond for Acer G7700 Predator
MOBO BIOS - P01.A0 - Win 7 Bios from Acer Website

OS - Win 7 HP 64Bit
Drives - OS - OCX Onyx2 32g SSD
Games - Raid Setup on 2 x WD Caviar
Storage - 2 x 1tb HDD
VGA - NVidia GTX570
PhysX - NVidia 9800GTX+

Ok, So I got the mobo a few months back after my old ASRock gave up the ghost. I had been able to OC that setup too 2.7g which given what Ive seen about the G0 Q6600s is pretty low for an OC. I( have seen people push these chips up to 3.5g. All im looking for here is 3 or 3.2 max.)
I purchased a new mobo - the MC72XE which as mentioned above is an Acer branded P7N Diamond.
I have updated the BIOS to the latest revision although in truth nothing appears to have changed in the BIOS settings save for the bios release number having changed. Some folks have suggested that the board has been locked down but Acers website siuggest that it is clockable. It even has that DOT thing from MSI. I ran some tests on the DOT system, when under load it was supposed to oc the pc by 15% , running test with CPUID open showed the cpu never going beyond its rated 2.4g even when DOT was on.

My first attempt to OC this board was done via the NVidia Ctrl Panel. I know I know!!! Raising the FSB to around 300 gives me an oc to about 2.5 but gives no real noticeable difference to the running of the pc. Raising it up to around 310 gets mme to 2.7g but as soon as I load something I get a BSOD

After doing this I watched a few vids on Youtube etc showing a P7N with a Q6600 being clocked and followed there setup. Best case scenario was that the PC got to the Windows flash screen then reboots. Other attempts at overclocking from BIOS have resulted in nothing happening other than the fans blasting out. Usualy I have to clear CMOS to get back in.

I have also noted that If I alter any settings for the SLI ram ie using the auto oc settings in bios results in a crash with clear cmos the only way out.
The MOBO does have tons off options for OCing so I cant believe that it would prevent me from doing so!
Based on this I was wondering the folowing

As the MOBO is basically a P7N can I flash it with the latest MSI bios or would this just kill it dead (Dont really want that outcome!)
Does OCZ DDR2 SLi Ram allow for OCing??? It says it does but doesnt seem to like it.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated as I really want to kick this chip into shape!!

Kindest Regards,

Biz

bizjer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
As a follow on to the above post I have also discovered something odd with the intel eist option in the bios. When its disabled CPUID still shows my cpu speed & multiplier dropping down to 6 x and about 1.8 g. I thought that with eist disabled the cpu should run at full tilt always?