Two video cards for two different purposes

bandwidth20006

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I'm building my own system and i have decided to go with the Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 for my video card because i plan on doing alot of 3d animation (the system will be built around a core i7 extreme). I also wanted to play blue ray through my computer since it is in the same room as my HDTV; however, i noticed the fx 4800 doesn't have HDMI output- yes i know that DVI-D can do the same as HDMI but for the sake of being able to hook it up to my TV and surround sound i wanted a card with HDMI- just for blue-ray i don't game. Any suggestions.

Zenthar

Distinguished
One thing you have to pay close attention to if you go with the on-board (which is a very good idea BTW) is that some board will completely disable on on-board GPU if any GFX card is plugged-in. You have to make sure both can be used simultaneously.

Maybe that part would be best suited for the MB section.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Unfortunately, there is currently no i7 MB with on-board video so either wait for i5 & P55 or get a 2nd entry-level card with HDMI output.

For the 2nd option, I would recommend an ATI 4650 (40-50$) as it can even support light-moderate gaming, but, if you want to save more and/or prefer passive cooling for noise, the 4350 (25-35$) would be able to play HD movies without issues. Complete list of cheap suggestions here.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Just buy a dvi to hdmi adaptor. Everyone makes things harder than it has to be. Use spdif to connect to your surround sound if you have it.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

You have to run audio anyways if you are running audio to sourround sound like the op wants.

royalcrown

Distinguished

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182167

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813151194

he's using a quadro, why not a "server" class board. Dunno if it shuts off or not on adding a card, read manual OP.