Best 2500k cooler with a 50$ budget

BigmanQ

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I'm thinking about overclocking my i5-2500k. i know how to overclock but haven't done it yet. i would really like to know what is a good cooler for around 50$.

i have an haf 932 case so i believe i can install one without removing the motherboard.

i am willing to increase my budget if it's really worth doing so.

Solution
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-8.html
I dont understand why everyone ALWAYS recommends the Hyper212+ for all situations. I'd personally go with the Thermalright MUX-120, since you have $50 to put down on a good cooler. It's just better. Period. If you go to the results on the tests I linked, you'll see that it's the quietest thing they tested, and flat out is a better unit than the 212. It's thin enough that you can get a push-pull setup and still have all four RAM slots available for the future when you decide to drop in another kit.
Or, there's the Scythe Mugen II, if you want a better performing heatsink, albeit at the cost of being a little louder. Those are my two recommendations. The MUX-120 if...

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
CoolerMaster Hyper 212
you can find it for 29$

I use mine on an 2500k also oced to 4.4 Ghz with max temps in high 50s celsius. I have added a second fan however for a push-pull config. If you want you can spend the additional 20$ to get a ball-bearing 120mm fan since the one that it comes with is sleve.

BigmanQ

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

i hear the v6gt is loud. is there a way to change the fans later on in case it gets too loud?

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Looking at the dimensions they are very similar to my mobo so if you only have two Ram sticks you will have no problem at all mounting it. If you have 4 it will depend on the height of the heatsink on the RAM sticks.

The heatsink will fit fine with 4 sticks also, but if the RAMs have high heatsinks on them you might have to place the fan slightly higher on the Heatsink which is really easy to do with the way the fan attaches to the heatsink.

BigmanQ

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

i have 2 sticks. also does it matter whether i put my ram in the first and 3rd slots or the 2nd and 4rth.

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
I does not matter performance wise, so put them so they are farther away from the CPU. If you do that you will have no problem at all fitting the heatsink and fan

Edit: The manual for your mobo says: "To ensure a successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the
DIMM1 first." however I have never had any problems plugging my RAM in the 2nd and 4rth slot and I have a P67 mobo also.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-8.html
I dont understand why everyone ALWAYS recommends the Hyper212+ for all situations. I'd personally go with the Thermalright MUX-120, since you have $50 to put down on a good cooler. It's just better. Period. If you go to the results on the tests I linked, you'll see that it's the quietest thing they tested, and flat out is a better unit than the 212. It's thin enough that you can get a push-pull setup and still have all four RAM slots available for the future when you decide to drop in another kit.
Or, there's the Scythe Mugen II, if you want a better performing heatsink, albeit at the cost of being a little louder. Those are my two recommendations. The MUX-120 if you want a silent setup, the Mugen II if you want one that performs better.

Just my $0.02.

Solution

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Never used it personally, but if it is as loud as you say I doubt fans will make a difference. It's probably due to fin angles and covers, so if you are too troubled by noise, stick with the CM Hyper 212+. It's silent as a smelly fart and works wonders. Doesn't look very great though, and it's huuuuge.

BigmanQ

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

what about the scythe mugen 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185168&Tpk=mugen-3

wouldn't that be better than the previous model?