Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a build suggestion

Last response: in Systems
June 17, 2009 5:46:31 PM

:hello: 
I need a build suggestion, I've never built one like this and have no idea on recommended setup, will be happy to see some suggestions

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: the next few days

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD htpc player, HD recorder from tv, file server, router+adsl modem and firewall and boinc crunching machine on low cpu load.

BUDGET RANGE: lowest possible but reliable.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: none.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com I look for a low setup in general

PARTS PREFERENCES: none.

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: will be hooked to a full hd tv.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: it will be a multi purpose pc that will run 24/7 so I want to minimize power usage and heat, will probably go into a closet, the tuner card must be fully supported under linux. the hd playing must be fluid and without glitches.

thanks for the help.

More about : build suggestion

June 17, 2009 5:54:59 PM

Lowest possible isnt a workable budget, are we talking $300, $500, $800? Since its in a closet i assume that means that it does not need to be silent. I assume will also assume that by full HD tv you mean 1080p correct?
June 17, 2009 6:07:21 PM

hunter315 said:
Lowest possible isnt a workable budget, are we talking $300, $500, $800? Since its in a closet i assume that means that it does not need to be silent. I assume will also assume that by full HD tv you mean 1080p correct?

let say 400$ tops.
yes, I mean 1080p
Related resources
Anonymous
June 17, 2009 7:51:38 PM

GET OUT OF HERE!

Do you need perks like Blu Ray or wifi? You're asking a lot for 400 dollars lol
June 17, 2009 8:10:39 PM
June 18, 2009 5:04:25 AM

bluerays haven't reached my area yet, in fact, I haven't seen any disc yet :D 
just remembered, no cd is needed, I'll use the external one.
what power difference can I see between the AthlonII and an old athlon x2 e version?
isn't 80 gigs of hd is way to low? what about the tuner card?
I know I want alot for low budget, like I said in the beginning in general, there is no budget limit, I want to keep the total build cost has low has possible
if the lowest build that I'll get recommended will be 1000$, I'll take it. I just want to get a build.
June 18, 2009 5:13:32 AM

Well are you going to be storing your videos on the HTPC or are you mainly going to be loading a DVD and playing off of it? If you are going to be playing the files off the HDD then you want to get a WD Cavair Black 640GB or something equally large to make sure you have sufficient space.

The old Athlon x2 low power versions were 45 watts while the new Athlon II is 65 watts, but it is also clocked at 3.0 instead of 2.6 and will do more for each cycle so it will run at lower load and not come close to its max power.

If you already have an external DVD drive then you are all set, however if you dont, just get a cheap internal one, they are only $30 and not needing to include bluray frees up quite a bit of the budget for a better HDD and maybe a tuner card but be aware that with a tuner card you can only get unencrypted channels, basically only things between 2 and 100 for most providers.
June 18, 2009 4:59:25 PM

hunter315 said:
Well are you going to be storing your videos on the HTPC or are you mainly going to be loading a DVD and playing off of it? If you are going to be playing the files off the HDD then you want to get a WD Cavair Black 640GB or something equally large to make sure you have sufficient space.

The old Athlon x2 low power versions were 45 watts while the new Athlon II is 65 watts, but it is also clocked at 3.0 instead of 2.6 and will do more for each cycle so it will run at lower load and not come close to its max power.

If you already have an external DVD drive then you are all set, however if you dont, just get a cheap internal one, they are only $30 and not needing to include bluray frees up quite a bit of the budget for a better HDD and maybe a tuner card but be aware that with a tuner card you can only get unencrypted channels, basically only things between 2 and 100 for most providers.

thanks, so old x2 athlon is a go? what about a hd tuner card that is supported under linux? any suggestions?
!