Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 back up corruption question

Last response: in Windows 7
September 26, 2011 1:27:42 AM

okay I just got a new laptop with windows 7. I started to back up my entire system as a system image to couple of dvd's. at the third dvd, my laptop ran out of power even though it said it was at 60 percent and had supposedly 2 hours left power. When I resumed my system, windows found errors on the third disk. I assume this was because of the power loss. I put in a new cd and completed the back up.

Is it likely that my back up got corrupted?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 2:35:43 AM

Yes, on the first backup attempt. If you made another full backup after you plug in the power and restart, that copy of the backup should be fine.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:05:40 AM

I backed up idifferent sections, in discs. So that would mean the disc being written on while the power went off would only be corrupted right?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 3:09:39 AM

So dvd number 1 and 2 is still from the first backup attempt and dvd number 3 is a new disk made in second attempt?
m
l
September 27, 2011 2:21:55 AM

no, 1 and 2 are of the first back up, the third one is still part of the original back up. the third one got errors when the power went out. I am doing a scond attempt at making disc 3 of the back up. the back up requires multiple cdäs to back up the entire system since they are only 4.7 Gb each
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2011 3:04:51 AM

What are u using for back up?

Battery power status is an average till that moment u look at it,

so if u look at it before intensive use of CPU it doesn't reflect correct amount of battery charge left. It adjusts shortly after. That's why u had all of the sudden only 2hrs left.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
September 27, 2011 4:10:17 AM

I will play it save and do a full backup again with power connected to the wall. After all dvd's are cheap and it is a pain to go through your laptop manufacturer to get a copy of the Window restore disc, if you need to restore in the future and found out that your backup is actually screwed up.
m
l
September 27, 2011 8:08:17 AM

I have tired Windows 7 snap-in backup once and never use it again because everytime i tired to backup my system drive. it would pop up an notice, saying there is an error. What kind of error? I don't know. It just won't let me do this. So I switched to free backup tool: Easus todo backup on download.cnet sucussfully done and i use it to do my daily jobs. at download cnet holds lots of backup freebies.
m
l
!