Will temporary HDD swap work?

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Hi,
I'm working on a Franken-box...an old Micron Millennia with an Intel D850MV board/P4 2GHz sans HDD that was given to me. I'm having problems getting a funky Windows 98 HDD I had laying around load consistently, and the optical drives are not showing up anywhere. My only other rig is another old PC, but the XP HDD is reliable, and wondered if I can pop it in the Micron for sake of troubleshooting the DVD drive problem, all without hosing the XP drive. My goal is to get the Micron up and running with the XP drive, to replace my even slower Dell PIII 933MHz. I just wanted to make sure its hardware is sound before I spend the time reloading XP, especially since I won't be able to do that until the optical drives work anyway. Really don't want to sink a lot of money into this...saving for an eventual "real" build ;)

FreeDataRecovery

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
No you can not swap an XP drive like that unless the hardware is a close match.

If you are trying to boot the Micron from a 98 disk it may not have drivers for your DVD so it cant see it.

To test it load your XP install CD into the DVD drive and try to boot from it. If you can then you know its working.

noonin1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

Can't connect the drives and still get '98 to boot, for some unknown reason, which is why I considered the HDD transplantation. I'm going to first try swapping a DVD-ROM from my working PC and see if that will allow the HD to boot. If it boots, I'll stick in a XP DVD and see if I can check out the overall health of the hardware. If it won't, then I'll be scratching my head for the next idea :pt1cable: