Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Card Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
June 9, 2011 1:31:43 PM

So today I installed a new Heat-sink and overclocked my CPU via its multiplier to 3.6GHz (Phenom II x4 955 BE)

ran Prime 95 for 15 mins, no issues at all. Played a bit of Saints Row 2, no issues again at all, temps were in the low 30's.

Started up Battlefield: Bad Company 2, played for perhaps 1 and a bit rounds on Arica Harbor. Half way through the second round my Game appeared to crash and the colours went all screwed up and there was this really loud scratchy noise coming through my headset i like literally had to unplug it immediately it was so deafening.

So i immediately closed the game with task manager, and everything seemed ok until i went to reboot it to see if it would and immediately there is like well, here's a picture.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/gpuissue.jpg/

once it gets past that it just hangs on the DICE logo screen before u can get to the menu

Apps on chrome started to crash like shockwave etc, also started getting Referenced Memory Errors. Icons like Folders etc also got that distorted colouring like on that picture of the BFBC2 Loader

My GPU's are two HIS Powercolour 5770's in Crossfire. Theyre temps are not high at all, and they've never overheated before.

My Motherboard Asus M4A79XTD-EVO
Ram 8gigs Kingston

3 case fans, 1 Coolermaster 212+ Cpu heat-sink

550W Corsair VX PSU

Any knowledge or help would be awesome

Edit 1: Just adding that when i did my overclock i did it clearly as i said via the Multiplier, i left everything else alone (its all set to auto by default?) except the core voltage which is set at 1.35V stock, apparently i should'nt have to touch that till higher speeds.

So im not sure if its a lack of power for the GPU issue because the voltage is the same as it would of been at stock?

More about : graphic card problem

a b U Graphics card
a c 242 K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 5:51:05 PM

Sound like psu not enough power, Try use 1 gpu in default, unistall driver gpu install again driver with latest driver 11.5b hotfix , have you stil problem ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 9:46:37 PM

It could be a Crossfire issue. Disable Crossfire, reboot and try again.
The other thing I'd try is resetting to all defaults in the Catalyst Control Center (AMD Vision Engine Control).
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2011 4:15:27 AM

My initial reaction was that something is wrong with your GPU but it seems that only the graphics in the game doesn't work, and also the chrome error. My graphics card failure showed those types of artifacts in all applications. That leads me to believe its the overclock. I'll state the obvious, did you reset the clock to stock speed? If that doesn't work then I would focus on the GPU with what henydiah and dann said. And if those don't work, remove one of the GPUs. That's just a shot in the dark but its something you need to rule out. Good luck
m
l
June 11, 2011 7:34:48 AM

Yeah it was the overclock, it was unstable. Have now got it to 3.8 with higher voltages and prim85 12 hour Blend and torture test has me at a nice stable clock without any issues now :D .
m
l
!