Is it worth it to wait for the DX11 cards ?

tomshardware user

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
i will be building a high end watercooled gaming machine and it will contain 3xgtx 285 2gb so will it be worth it for me to wait for the new DX11 cards ?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
The question if something is worth buying now or waiting for it will always be answered by one's wallet. Your budget allows you a nice option of having 3 GTX 285s. I would build it now so I can immediately start enjoying the new wonderful gaming rig and telling myself as I watch the hyper liquid framerates "Now I know how that 3rd GTX 285 really boosts performance!"

Hey why not? Someone who can build a triple SLI GTX 285 rig now is someone who doesn't wait for untested DX11. I say do both, build the rig, enjoy the gaming now, and upgrade later too!

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
There is always something around the corner. If your budget allows for buying now and upgrading later I say go for it. You could always sell the gtx 285's and recoup some of the cost. As of right now no one really knows anything about directx 11 and when games will be released. It is same situation as with dx10. no one asked what os you were planning on using. that also plays a factor into what cards you use.

HOLY CRAP! What resolution are you running that you need 3 - gtx285 2GB cards?!?!?!

If you want a decent card to game with until DX11 cards hit the market, you can't go wrong with either an ATI 4870 1GB or an nVidia 260 896MB card for the price/performance.

And, given the DX10/DX10.1 debacle who knows what level or the number of games that will take advantage of and support DX11.

If you got the money now, again, the 4870 1GB or the 260 896MB cards are great for the price/performance and won't break the bank if you upgrade to a DX11 card at the end of this year.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Seeing as money doesn't seem like much of an object to you (hey, we all have expensive hobbies, this or a car right? lol) there is no need to wait. You won't be happy with a stop gap, and if you are spending this much money now, what is another upgrade in some months when dx11 is actually useful? Thre is no telling how long it will take for dx11 games to come out, and as for hardware no matter when you buy it will be replaced by something faster in about the same amount of time..

Go nuts. Get what you want when you can afford it, upgrade when you feel like it. No sense playing the waiting game as there will always be something shiny coming "in just a few months."

As for whether it is worth the money, well that is not for me to say, I'm sure you'll enjoy a watercooled super computer, just don't spend more than you can afford!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
May I suggest getting 2 or 3 Sapphire 4890 Atomic edition cards instead? From my experience when you overclock both the atomic and a GTX 285 then the atomic wins in almost all benchmarks. I'm running 3 4890 Toxic editions which are basically the same thing (this line has better caps and higher voltage) and I'm running them at 1100 core/ 1150 memory, I got tired of tuning so I gave them whole numbers.

By the way what loop are you looking at?

I'm running a GTX 480+GTX 240 loop and now I'm looking into a powerful DC pump with half again the head pressure of my current Swiftech 655.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I say wait because not only for DX11 but also because the new cards SHOULD be faster.

If its like the DX9 vs DX10 card there was a jump in performance.

@OP: Like I said in your WC thread, just do the CPU loop, and just get a single 4870/4830/4850 for now. Then in a few months get a DX11 card and WC that. You can put that in a 2nd loop or integrate it in to your current loop.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

In theory they would be, but im not sure how well a MARS would overclock or water cool. :).
That and they are 2 grand each, even if you do find one....

First, exactly how many game developers have already announced they will have games released and ready by DX11's introduction? I haven't heard of a single one and all ATI will say is "a wave of DX11 games is coming at release time." You think with just a few months to go we'd have heard of some actual bonafide titles by now.

Second, DX10 has been out closing in on three years now, and we are just now starting to see full saturation of support (and that includes last years SP1 for DX10.1 - someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

For my last build, I initially had an ASUS HD 4870 video card. Its performance in FSX was lousy (although it rocked in just about everything else) and then just decided to pull the trigger on an EGVA GTX 275 on sale for $199. Could I have waited for a DX11 card? Sure, I didn't need a new card per say. But the price was right and I gained nearly 10fps in FSX just with this card. Glad I didn't wait and this will last for some time.

========================================================

P5Q Pro Turbo // E8400 -> 4.4GHz // Zalman 9700LED // 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 // EVGA GTX 275 // Corsair 750W // WD Black 640GB x2 // Antec Nine Hundred

BattleForge will be, tho its not a true top AAA title arguably.
I agree with shadow, buy small now, go big later. Its not as if the 285s will disappear, and will most likely be cheaper as well, if the DX11s come late, or dont produce.

Im also of the opinion DX11 and DX10+ games will be in the fast lane this time around, and we'll see more and more titles coming more quickly to it. And, Im sure therell be a nice bump in perf having DX11 cards. Currently, the 285s are way overpriced compared to perf http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4890_Toxic_Vapor-X/30.html
As they say, the bigger you are, the harder you fall, so your return on investment wont be that high once the new cards do come out.

Take a look at my link, its very telling about the price/perf for the 285, where those 4890s and the 275s put up alomost the same numbers, for considerably less.

G

False.

You will not need a PCI-e 3.0 slot considering graphics cards are finally beginning to use all of the bandwidth of a 1.0 slot.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I'm waiting to upgrade my VC to DX11 not because it'll be DX11 but it'll be a new desing with new technology and should be faster.

If its like the previous change in vc gen, next gen mid-level cards could match the performance of this gen high-end cards.

At least wait for the first benchmark and if the performance difference isn't worth it, then you could buy your 3 GTX285 cheaper then than now.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
deuce271 , ct1615
when is Pci-e 3.0 supposed to be released ?
end of 2009-beginning of 2010.
when is Dx11 being released ??

it is not by chance, dx11 on a pci-e 2.0 will stink compared too pcie 3.0.

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008

I've got two expensive hobbies :'(

This and custom bmx/mountain bikes.
I know I have a problem! LEAVE ME ALONE I'LL TELL YOU WHEN I'M DONE!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Heh me too, but its computers and my god damn Mustang that take all my money from me, I'm ever pushing the boundaries of street legal.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
ct1615, you still have the same overhead costs with pcie 1.1 or pcie 2.0 . With Pcie 3.0 you will NOT have that 20 percent bandwidth overhead cost.