Fan Speed in BIOS – Hyper 212

evo23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I am operating a homebuild with an Asus P7P55D-E motherboard and an i5-760 chip. I recently installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to replace the stock heatsink that came with the chip. When the system boots up, the fan speed defaults to 100%, which is unnecessarily fast and loud at non-overclocked settings.

So, I went into BIOS --> Power --> Hardware Monitor, and set CPU Q-Control to "Enabled" and the CPU Q-Fan Control to manual, with an upper temp of 70C at 60% fan speed, 40c with 20% fan speed. When I save changes and leave BIOS, the fan speed stays at 100%, though meaning the BIOS change didn’t work. The only thing that seems to bring the speed down is a program like Speedfan. I’d prefer to make it work through BIOS to avoid having to run additional programs.

Any idea on how to get these changes to stick using BIOS?

Thanks!

The fan may not support the method of controlling speed that the BIOS/mainboard uses by default. That's probably why the software works and the BIOS doesn't. You may be able to change the method the BIOS/mainboard uses if that setting is there. I think the choices would be PWM and Voltage -- if it's on PWM switch it to Voltage and vice versa.

Otherwise, your choices are software or a separate fan controller.