Chipset X200
2 GB DDR2 ram 667Mhz
Hard drive 160 GB SATA 7200 rpm
GeForce 7300LE 64 MB DDR memory
300W HIPRO smps

I am going to buy a 460/500 W coolermaster smps
I was thinking of buying a palit radeon 4850 512 Mb
Will this card work in my pc?
Are there any other issues i need to look at?
Does the card 4850 gets its power supply form my motherboard or do i need to connect a six pin connector also to it from the smps?
Are there any heating problems?
I live in india and the dealer is offering me the card for around $100(RS 5000). is the price ok..

I am planning to run most of the fps and the rpg at 1600x1200 with 4x AA and 8x AF on a 19" hp monitor

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
The 4850 requires a 6 pin from the PS. An adapter (molex to 6 pin) is supplied, but it is always better to have a separate 6 pin available so that you don't put too much demand on the 12V rail.

I am running a Sapphire 4850 HD 512 MB in my rig and I love it. The PS you are looking at is pretty much the minimum you should use. You might want to look at getting a 650 W or bigger, depending on any upgrade plans in the future.

G'Luck!

hash

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Is the card second hand or what? Buy a branded one with warranty. I also live in India. I bought a XFX 4850 XXX Edition which costs up to 14000 Rs. with 1 year warranty.

shubham1401

Distinguished
YA. They are around Rs.9000 these days.
Make sure it is covered with warranty.
The coolermaster PSU is not that good.So i will suggest you a Corsair 450VX for your rig.

And as mentioned above,ur CPuU will definitely bottleneck 4850.

You may also add some more ram.2 GB is less for today's games.
Add another idential 2 GB RAM .

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Actually i don' t understand what do you people mean by my CPU bottlenecking my graphic card.
Also i am upgrading my power supply unit to 500W. Isnt that enough? On ATi's website its mentioned 450W is enough.
About the price i think its ok because on newegg also 512 mb 4850 is available around $109.
Is VIP a good company for smps

Not exactly. A GPU needs its power from +12V. There is no way to "reduce demand on the 12v rail." If you need to use a molex-to-PCIE power connector, that may just mean the PSU is an older model that is inefficient at best, and may be balanced for more load on +5V/+3.3V, and not have enough amperage on +12V.
You also don't need a 650W PSU. An Antec Earthwatts 380 can power a 4850, because it is a quality PSU that has most of its capacity on +12V where it is needed by a modern PC (I'd still choose the Earthwatts 430W for a little more headroom, but that's just me). A quality 550W-600W model (Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic or Enermax) could handle a pair of them in Crossfire.

The older Coolermaster PSUs are inefficient and overrated. If it has Active PFC (i.e. no little red voltage switch) it is a newer one and may be ok. If it has the switch, do not buy it unless you have no choice, and then get at least a 500W model to account for the overrating.

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

i thin xfx is costly than palit . also this is not some XXX edition like that.
by the way which smps do you use. how much wattage. does this card require a 6 pin connector from smps.

on newegg and other sites the card costs around $109 only

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
will the game work normally or the frames will be stuck and render slowly?
what should i do to avoid that bootlenecking?
will cod 6 i.e modern warfare 2 work with this gpu and cpu at around 1280*1024 with 4x AA

The game will run, it just may be a little slower than it would be with a faster CPU.
EVERY system has a "bottleneck," the one part that, however slightly, holds back other parts from working as fast as they possibly can on a particular task. Currently, your 7300LE is the bottleneck for graphically intensive games (but not for Word documents or spreadsheets, which don't require much graphics muscle).
If you could gradually crank up the graphics power, you'd probably find that somewhere between a 4670 and a 4830, your CPU would probably become the bottleneck.
At some point, it becomes a rather hopeless cause to just throw individual upgrade parts into an old system; it makes more sense to build a whole new one. If a GPU upgrade doesn't provide satisfactory performance for you, you'd probably be in that situation. You'd take the new GPU out, sell the old system, and build a new one using the new GPU. Of course, the big constraint is budget. Check some benchmarks of the games you want to play to estimate how well they will perform with your particular CPU and/or GPU.

hash

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
i thin xfx is costly than palit . also this is not some XXX edition like that.
by the way which smps do you use. how much wattage. does this card require a 6 pin connector from smps.

on newegg and other sites the card costs around $109 only

Don't use Newegg as a reference for prices in India. Newegg doesn't support and ship products to India. Always INSIST ON WARRANTY,otherwise DON'T buy.

And about the power supply I have useless SMPS and it constantly shuts down my machine when the GPU is at full load. So I'm going to buy a Corsair 450 watt.
Yes it does need a 6 pin from smps. 450 is enough for the card and 500 solid performance in case your overclocking or going to upgrade later.

Buy a new CPU too. There many people in India who buy used PC's you can sell you current processor and MOBO to get a new one. That processor bottlenecks that gpu . Its like your cpu can throw 1 brick but your gpu can catch 2-3 bricks at a time. Just an example.

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
the card which you have is also priced at RS8500only . i dont need a overclocked version.
about the corsair smps- are you going to buy it from a local dealer. can they ship it to me in gujarat.
does bottlenecking can have any effect on my pc.?
should i use any other card that does not bottleneck my pc?
can i change the intel pentium d 820 2.83ghz chip without changing my motherboard?

hash

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
By the way did you ask if it has warranty? The MSI 4850 doesn't have warranty. Make sure you got an warranty. You can get a Corsair from your local dealer,don't worry.

And about the motherboard will probably support the Core 2 Duo.But you need to check your motherboard manual first. Or just type your motherboard name in google and check if it supports Core2Duo processors.

Or yes you can change your video card. Go slightly lower performing card in the 4800 series. Try the 4830. Or you can buy the 44850 now buy a new CPU 2-3 months later.Its not like the card won't work , it will just be underperforming.

But it all comes down to how much your willing to spend. Buying a costlier card and underperforming CPU isn't going to help. You gotta balance it out just like others mentioned above.

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
but tell me whether the frame get stuck at 1280*1024 with 4xAA and 4xAF
or i will be able to play smothely with good details.

in vadodara corsair is not available. here the dealers give powersafe/VIP smps.
might be in Ahmedabad.
do you know any corsair dealer who can ship me the smps.

by the whats the price of 4830 or 4770?

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
but tell me whether the frame get stuck at 1280*1024 with 4xAA and 4xAF
or i will be able to play smothely with good details.

in vadodara corsair is not available. here the dealers give powersafe/VIP smps.
might be in Ahmedabad.
do you know any corsair dealer who can ship me the smps.

by the whats the price of 4830 or 4770?

arjun7989

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
the dealer gives 1yr full warranty +2yrs extended warranty on that PALIT card

presently i have a HIPRO smps of 300W with 19A on 12V rail will that be enough

any ways to overclock my cpu from 2.83GHz

shubham1401

Distinguished
For prices check out this website.......
http://www.lynx-india.com/

If Corsair/Antec is not available in your city then you may buy Zebronics Platinum series SMPS.They are good ones and cost is also reasonable.
Or you can get it couriered by some relative of urs who can get corsair or antec.

I think you will be stuck at 1280X1024 with that CPU.Even core 2 duo's don't perform gr8 with GTA 4.

@ Arjun7989: A good 500W power supply will give at least 30 amps on the +12v line or lines, that is what you should look for: At least 30 amps, do not worry about the wattage, just that minimum 30 amps. And one 6 pin PCI-E connector if you buy the HD4770 or HD4850.
Take heed of Shubham1401, he has local knowlage.