Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 will not boot after unlocking cores on AMD

Last response: in Overclocking
June 9, 2011 6:32:30 PM

I have an AMD Phenom X2 555 Black Edition. I installed on ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO Motherboard. This is a new build. I unlocked the 2 additional cores and it posted with no problems. I tried to load Windows 7 but I got a Blue screen with STOP errors and PAGE FAULT errors. I went back to the 2 original cores and reset the CMOS to defaults and Windows loaded fine. After I did all of the updates I tried to open the additional cores again and Windows 7 would not boot. Same error conditions. I have the current BIOS from ASUS so I know that is not the issue.
How do I get Windows 7 to boot with the additional cores??
Thanks in advance

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 9, 2011 6:57:05 PM

Doublecheck your ram settings when you have the unlock active,
and try unlocking each core on its own, you may have one that seems ok but under stress it bsods you
Moto
June 9, 2011 7:22:05 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
and try unlocking each core on its own, you may have one that seems ok but under stress it bsods you
Moto

What ram settings should I be on the lookout for?

I will try unlocking each core on it's own.

Thanks for your help!

Tee
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2011 10:33:14 PM

I have that same motherboard and CPU. Could you post your system info? What is your RAM configuration (speed, type, # of sticks, etc)?
m
l
June 10, 2011 5:48:39 AM

Sorry but it looks as though you won't be able to have 4 cores and still boot to windows. They sell them as 2 cores for a reason, sometimes you get one that can unlock, sometimes you don't thats just how it goes.
m
l
June 10, 2011 3:23:23 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Moto

Moto,
THanks for your help. I got 3 cores to boot and load to Windows. I brought the cores up individually and core 3 was the culprit. Now running cores 1, 2 and 4. I also overclocked to 3.912 and it has been stable since last night. Temp is stable at 34 degree Celsius. So I don't have a quad but I got a triple. I am happy.

System info again
Asus M488TD-V EVO MB
AMD Phenom X2 555 BE
8 GB (2 x 4gb G-Skill Sniper DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

m
l
June 10, 2011 3:23:50 PM

Best answer selected by teetimer_01.
m
l
June 10, 2011 4:21:40 PM

Stupid questions need to be flamed.

I unlocked all my cores and now my CPU wont run!

What a moron. Gee, could it be one or more disabled cores are defective? Nah. Lets just throw our arms up and bother everyone else for the obvious answer.

Oz
m
l
June 11, 2011 4:21:05 AM

osmosium said:

What a moron. Gee, could it be one or more disabled cores are defective? Nah. Lets just throw our arms up and bother everyone else for the obvious answer.

Oz

Douche
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 5:53:20 AM

Thankyou for B.a. man, glad you got sorted, and pay no notice to osmosium, most members try to help on Toms
Moto
m
l
June 11, 2011 8:56:20 AM

No problem, kids like that like to hide behind their keyboards. It gives them courage that they don't have in real world.
PC working great withyour help.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 7:10:07 PM

Hah, that's the spirit. Gotta love people who dont care enough to read the whole thing, and yet still post bull like that. You were just asking for help getting it stable on all four cores. I don't see the problem here. Don't let people like that represent Tom's. ;) 

Glad to hear that you got it working. Always nice to see people getting free added performance. :D 
m
l
April 28, 2012 3:05:58 PM

osmosium said:

Oz

Fuckin twat ! go kill yourself
m
l
!