Overclocking - am I lucky with my i5 2500k ???

AtusSephin

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hello
This is my first build and my first ever overclock. Therefore I have read a couple of guides on overclocking, one of them says

"The unlocked CPUs have a selection of unlocked multipliers, ranging from 16 to around 57 (if you are lucky!)."

Here is the link to that guide:
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

My multiplier goes up to 60, does that mean I am really, really lucky. :D :D ?
Should my processor overclock better then most of the sandy bridges :D ?
How far should my processor go with the hyper 212+ ?

Here is my setup:
i5 2500k
hd 6950
ripjawasx 4GB 1600mhz 7CL
MSI gd65
Antec truepower 750w
Cooler Master hyper 212+

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Have you actually been able to set your multiplier to 60, so that you're getting a 6.0GHz overclock? That would be amazing. If you're just saying that your motherboard's OC software lets you try to set it that high, not so amazing.

Start with stock voltage settings. Move your multiplier up by 1 or 2 at a time until you reach a point that is not stable or won't boot. Then try increasing the Vcore (CPU voltage) a little bit at a time, not going much higher than 1.4 volts. Continue to increase multiplier and voltage in small increments until you reach your "wall" - the point at which you can't create a stable overclock.

Don't set your voltage too high! Try to stay below 1.4V for a "practical" OC.

Keep your peak Prime95 core temps below 75ºC and the CPU voltage below 1.4v for an everyday overclock that should last for years to come.

And I don't subscribe to the "overclock slowly in 1x multiplier steps" overclock method.

Try this:
1. Set CPU voltage to 1.3-1.35v
2. Set CPU multiplier to 45x
3. Save and exit

For most Sandy Bridge CPUs it's that easy to get 4.5GHz. Once you get there, either be happy with it or you can try for a bleeding-edge overclock. That one you should do more slowly as it usually requires more tweaking.