Case too small

G

I was wondering i have a 9 bay thermaltake m9 case with clear side, and lighting kit, i was wondering would it be large enough to hold a core i7 cpu it has a q6600 quad core in at the mo also is it much of an upgrade to a core i7 920 tahnks ad

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I was wondering i have a 9 bay thermaltake m9 case with clear side, and lighting kit, i was wondering would it be large enough to hold a core i7 cpu it has a q6600 quad core in at the mo also is it much of an upgrade to a core i7 920 tahnks ad

I could be wrong but the cpu itself is a chip, however I am guessing you want to know if the new motherboard would fit?

If you go to the new mobo you want and look at the specifications it will give you the dimensions, then you can simply visually measure your current mobo and see. If you want to get technical, get a measuring tape and check for certain.

Also I could be wrong again but you may need to make sure the rest of your parts , such as ram, are compatible with a new mobo and cpu.

quattro04

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Is this the case you have? If so, then yes, that case can accomodate the i7 chip plus an ATX x58 mobo. Though if your planning on using an E-ATX mobo, it might not fit in your case.

For the second question, I think the i7 is a good upgrade from a q6600 system especially if you plan on having a multi-gpu setup.

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

^ There you go.

Just a note, I dont know the case your referring to so I cant say for sure, but if you plan to do multi gpus I would make sure your case is big enough before you buy.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
with the q6600 being an excellent overclocking chip you might want to try that and hold off for a few more monthes.. their should be more i7/i5 around and better deals on motherboards etc.

also unless you are going with 2(+) top end graphics cards the performance in games wont improve much.