Dieing processor and reinstalling xp with new processor?

sananboy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
hey,
i have got a whole bunch of questions.
firstly, i have been having a problem with my cpu. it's a P4 that i bought quite a while ago, and has been acting wierd lately. whenever i do something demanding on the computer, it automatically shuts off. example, if i play a game on the computer, hich would be demanding on the processor, then 20 minutes into the game, the computer shuts off.
so i opened up the computer to see what is the problem. lo and behold the fas was covered in thick bits of dust. i cleaned it up and everything with compressed gas. not completely cleaned, but yeah. then i booted it again and still dint get any good results. i checked on speed fan and the temp is about 79 C at idle. which, i know, is intense. so is this a problem with fan, cpu, or both. im pretty sure its fan, but yeah.

So secondly, if the problem is with the cpu (and maybe even if there isnt) im planning to buy a quad-core as a replacement. i upgraded the mobo about a year ago which supports quadcore, and did reinstall xp. if i buy a new processor, will i need to reinstall xp again, or should i be fine without it?

Lastly, i would like to ask which processor is better for gaming--> q8400 and q6700? i know that the E8400 is famous for being the best processor etc... but im buying this processor for a long term use. so after i buy it, i dont plan to upgrade for another 4-5 years. by that time, a quad core will probably be a standard and an expected requirement for gaming. im not a graphics or performance whore, so as long as the game runs fine (ex 30-50 fps on a decent resolution-->1440 by 900?) im cool with it. i know for my use a cheaper processor would be more useful but im buying this for future use as well.

anyway, thanks for any help.

Most likely your cooler is not well seated on your cpu.
Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.

Even with the same clock speed, the Q8200 should be better than the Q6700. It has some improvements in architecture, and is built on a 45nm process.

You may need to update your mobo bios to handle a newer cpu. If you need to, do that first, before you remove the old cpu.

You can probably replace the cpu without a os reinstall. You should update your motherboard drivers.

Replacing a CPU normally will not require a OS re-install.
As suggested, be sure to update your BIOS to the latest version before removing your old CPU, BUT fix your current overheating problem first! You DO NOT WANT IT TO SHUT DOWN UNEXPECTEDLY DURING A BIOS UPDATE. It will render your motherboard dead if this happens!
Remove the heatsink, clean the top of the CPU, the bottom of the heatsink, apply new thermal paste and reinstall it, carefully and correctly.
Your current temps are way too hot, that is likely your problem now.

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

When you cleaned the fan did you take it off? if so make sure you apply the correct amount of Thermal paste (not too much not too little) otherwise cleaning it won't have made a difference, and make sure it's seated properly, I find a CPU is really hot it doesn't run as well as a cooler one, and 29degrees C is a idiculously high temperature, having it cooler should improve performance. Sort the termperatures out before you do anything with teh bios, if the PC freezes mid update you're boned.

sananboy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
hey guys, so i did end up cleaning the cpu fan and heat sink, but i dint remember to aply thermal paste. still some change was there. now the cpu is idle at about 59C. but im pasting all the stats from everest so u guys could see:

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Fintek F71882F (ISA A00h)
GPU Sensor Type Analog Devices ADT7473 (NV-I2C 2Eh)

Temperatures
CPU 63 °C (145 °F)
MCP 57 °C (135 °F)
Aux 44 °C (111 °F)
GPU 79 °C (174 °F)
GPU Memory 71 °C (160 °F)
GPU Ambient 65 °C (149 °F)
WDC WD800JD-22MSA1 37 °C (99 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2276 RPM
GPU 1959 RPM (42%)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.42 V
+3.3 V 3.38 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 11.79 V
+3.3 V Standby 3.38 V
VBAT Battery 3.14 V
GPU Vcc 3.33 V

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Thermal Paste is definitely needed, Heat is your enemy, you should do whatever you can to lower it to within acceptable limits, 59 at idle is not

sananboy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
so would u guys suggest that i clear the heating problem before buying a new processor? (im prolly gonna buy a new fan etc.. for the new cpu as well). also, my cpu has always been at bout 59C, even before the crashing problem started. its prolly cuz my room gets pretty hot though. the lowest idle temp i have ever reached is about 40-45 prolly. sounds shocking. i know. lol. but anyway, what are ur suggestions?

Buy some good thermal compound.
Clean the heatsink and CPU. Check your heatsink, if it has always been that hot, perhaps the heatsink is defective, it happens. Check the bottom to make sure it is flat, it maybe is to concave, or mis-shapen. That will cause your problems for sure.
If the heatsink even appears slightly out-of-shape, not nice/smooth/flat, get a new one. Reapply your thermal paste, and carefully remount it correctly, see what happens.

sananboy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
hey guys, so im back. i decided to update the bios and see what happens. wel, everything went aright. soo, i went ahead and bought a q8200(only one they had in stock at my price range :(. ) so anyway, its still an amazing cpu and all and i have instaled it. but the probem is that as soon as i boot up the computer, a disturbingy loud noise starts coming out. so i decided to boot up the computer with the case open. and it seems ike the cpu fan is hitting the heatsink. i think. im not sure. but it does sound ike two things are colliding. maybe i put too much pressure on the heat sink when pushing in the pins? i donno. not sure but yeah. so i wasn wondering if you guys know what the probem is. or is it common for the casefans thhat come aong with the processors to do this? or coud it be another problem.

oh and i checked the temps and all again, and the cpu temp is like 30 C now, it shows different values for each core i think, and those were around the same. one was at 42 i think, so that could be serious? but i also realized that the shop i bought this from dint gimme a case fan. so anyway i have bought that and hopefuly that wil further decrease the problem. but yeah, any soution to the cpu fan noise problem thing? or will i have to buy a new one?