Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Phenom II X4 965-BE 4.2GHZ Stable 24hr w/ Prime

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 9, 2011 11:26:29 PM

Hey everyone, I am opening this because I didn't know if it might be able to help other Phenom II 965 owners. I have successfully managed to get to 4.2Ghz Stable on air with stock yes STOCK cooler. After trial and error of trying to get it that high and remain 24hr with prime, the solution wasn't what i expected it to be.. I had given up at this point but decided to try something a little different.

First Off.... Specs are as followed:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3
MSI 750-G55
G.Skill DDR3 1066

Anyhow I'll rap this up quick.

1. Set Power Options to Power Saver (In Windows)
2. Entered Bios
3. Enabled AMD Cool & Quiet
4. Ensured Everything was set to - Auto - (All Voltages, and FSB)
(Everything Except the Multiplier)
5. Set Multiplier to 21
6. Restarted Computer
7. Ran Prime95 for 24 Hours twice with no problems, and have ran 3Dm6 maxed out 4 times. No errors.

4.3,4&5 is a no go tho.

As for this 4.2Ghz
Will post more pics if you guys need! Hope this helps someone?! Happy clocking! :bounce: 

Validation
June 9, 2011 11:32:40 PM

Wow. Well done.

What is your NB running at?

Obviously the stock cooler is the trick. :) 

m
0
l
June 9, 2011 11:40:11 PM

Can't restart to check Bios atm, check this out tho.


m
0
l
Related resources
June 10, 2011 12:01:12 AM

wow im impressed do you thin this will work with other processors like the 6 core i know that can reach 4ghz with ease anyway but if so could push it a hell lot further
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 12:43:43 AM

I would imagine so, I have no clue how to explain it, but this is my my 2 pennies worth.

Everything is set to auto all except the Multiplier, so everything will change to accommodate for the multiplier change. Which means, if i am correct..

That means no more having to up the multiplier slowly till bsod and then up voltage, because like i said if i am correct, the Bios is automatically adjusting the voltages for the core,fsb,ram as needed to cope with the changes made to the multiplier!

Outstanding if correct!

And already being at 4.2Ghz at 1.408 volts. It seems to be true!

Hopefully I can get a few more people in this topic to help confirm this?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 12:58:01 AM

Crazy stuff. Mine bluescreens at 4.0; I've run 3.9 for months. Vcore 1.425.
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 1:08:40 AM

i think im gonna give this a try soon lets see if it works :D 
and whats with the power saver havent really looked at it what does that do in means with what your doing?
m
0
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 1:15:25 AM

^+ :) 
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 2:09:10 AM

na didn't work for me might get a better cooler, time to move off the stock one but anyway but let us know how the overclock goes :D 
m
0
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 2:25:21 AM

it sounds very funny :D  ... :lol: 
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 2:27:13 AM

it likes the 4ghz but thats it ill just stick with ocing the gpu haha
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 2:41:05 AM

What temps are you running? 4.2GHz doesn't sound too crazy, but usually voltages and temps get high enough that most users have to dial back their settings to avoid frying their CPU.
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 2:54:43 AM

jprahman said:
What temps are you running? 4.2GHz doesn't sound too crazy, but usually voltages and temps get high enough that most users have to dial back their settings to avoid frying their CPU.


This is what i am getting with a few things open nothing major. On the other hand, full blown with prime running i am getting 48 fan kicks on at 50 and stays on till it gets back down to 45 (set in bios)



After i get done running prime I'll post the 4.5ghz. But so far so good, so this thread might get changed from 4.2 to 4.5 :D 

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 5:57:46 AM

BS...4.2 GHz on the stock cooling and it never goes above 50c...Give me some of what your smoking...lol...4.5GHz...I don't think so....your idling at 41c..So I know your full of it....lets see the 24 hour prime run at 4.2@1.408v..in a screenie...I can boot all the way to 4.4GHz@1.52v...yet it is quite hot and unstable and I use a small LCS to cool....
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 11:05:05 AM

I also find this hard to believe unless your room temp is around 0C I think even 3.8GHz would be close to overheating with the stock cooler and over 4.2GHz usually needs extreme voltage and water cooling.
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 3:25:54 PM

lowjack989 said:
BS...4.2 GHz on the stock cooling and it never goes above 50c...Give me some of what your smoking...lol...4.5GHz...I don't think so....your idling at 41c..So I know your full of it....lets see the 24 hour prime run at 4.2@1.408v..in a screenie...I can boot all the way to 4.4GHz@1.52v...yet it is quite hot and unstable and I use a small LCS to cool....


No lying, no reason to. I am as curious as you as of how in the world.. I am about to run prime right now before i head to work, as for the temps, i kid you not it, with everything closed, it gets 38-40 and with a few things, just a hair more at around 39-43. Such as typing this reply. Playing crysis or any other game it only gets around 47-48!

The shoot for 4.5... i could boot but it failed on prime. Kinda killed my self-esteem on that one. But as for this 4.2, it is no joke.
Also my ram is set to auto at 1066, you think that could be holding me back from kepping 4.5 stable during tests? :pfff: 

As for room temp, it is 72-74 give or take with ac kickin on and off, its hot as hell outside.

Any more questions while this prime gets done, please ask because I am just as confused and skeptical myself, I want to confirm this also, Keep the questions coming! :bounce: 
m
0
l
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 3:47:33 PM

Different story if not stable system, no reason if fail at test stress.. Why I don't see your screenshot cpu-z, under finish test, hwmonitor/coretemp .. I interest your story, please your post screenshot
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 4:04:52 PM

Yah 4.5 was a no go, but how my 4.2 is completly stable with nothing changed but the multiplier is weird and not to mention how it stays so cold!?

I made a quick vid with my droid on the inside of the case so you can hear how quite it is and proof that its the stock head that comes with the 965 be.

Inside The case,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsR6U_M-_aM
The only loud fan u hear is from my PSU, and everyone knows how loud the OEM fans are.. Yet mines quiet as can be and cpu is nice and cool while oc'ed.



And the screen shot i had just taken prior to the vid,


I am about to start prime in a few minutes, heading to work will check back later to take screenie and post it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 7:01:58 PM

Waiting on that prime screenie........make sure you put the CPU-Z and Core temp on the screen as well...I gotta see this
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 8:04:36 PM

lowjack989 said:
Waiting on that prime screenie........make sure you put the CPU-Z and Core temp on the screen as well...I gotta see this


Just got home for lunch, prime is still running, I will stop it later tonight and post it as soon as i get off from work. I really don't feel like waiting for another 18 hours, as i know it is 24/7 stable, that is not my concern; It is the fact it seems to work in this setup, with everything set to auto (but multi ofc), I am just looking to confirm what is happening and possibly help other people in my findings. It could save people a tremendous of time trying to overclock and not have to nitpick voltages to get a stable config.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 8:15:05 PM

The stock cooling is what blows my mind....Very hard to believe it ?
m
0
l
June 10, 2011 8:50:32 PM

lowjack989 said:
The stock cooling is what blows my mind....Very hard to believe it ?


Yeah that is what blows my mind.... Why i have a hard time beleiving it also.. Makes me wonder if it is just a rare cpu or the combo of the mobo... idk... but just because of this i am looking for a good water system or even a very nice air cooler, which do you prefer for the 965? Because there is no telling what i would be able to get with a nice h20 or somthing of the like.

Anyways, here is another screenshot sorry for delay was eating, but i have to head back now, be back on soon.

m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2011 10:06:17 PM

If prime does put your temps over 60C then cooling will not make a difference to the maximum overclock
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 3:28:32 AM

I do believe you have an unusual processor. I also think you could do even better with a more efficient air cooler. Water cooling isn't going to help much, unless you are talking about a custom system (or an expensive one).
Most of the low end water cooling solutions are equal to the top end air coolers. But even a $30 cooler like the Hyper 212+ or the Xigmatek 1283 should show some gains. This is the best I've ever seen with the stock cooler though. Good job, even if you did get a bit lucky!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 5:15:18 AM

That must be a one off, X-edition HSF and CPU combo.....Whats the serial number...I want some of that batch !!!!!
Share
June 11, 2011 3:07:21 PM

lowjack989 said:
That must be a one off, X-edition HSF and CPU combo.....Whats the serial number...I want some of that batch !!!!!


If your serious about it, I will take some pictures of the hsf,chip,mobo, and the ram this evening.

I encourage some other people to try the auto thing mentioned above, because i am curious if anyone else will have my results. [:mohsentux:6]

On another note, what after market cooler do you all think i should get? I want a very good one, that isn't TOO terribly loud, quieter the better.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 3:28:30 PM

Noctua's or the Silver Arrow ....super quiet

No don't go ripping your machine apart.....the serial is on the Box it came in...I am just curious as to what batch it came out of.
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:08:56 PM

Is 955 @ 3.8ghz @ 1.375v normal?
temps 59-61. But isn't voltage criticaly low? Prime95 hasn't crashed yet.

cooler in sig.
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:13:06 PM

lowjack989 said:
Noctua Silver Arrow ....super quiet

No don't go ripping your machine apart.....the serial is on the Box it came in...I am just curious as to what batch it came out of.


Gotcha, here you go man. I bought it a week & half ago from newegg along with my ram & mobo.

Sorry took pic with my droid;


Thx on the cooler, I was doing reviews and aparently the Thermalright Silver Arrow performs better over the noctua. SO i think i will be going with the silver arrow and save $30 doing so! Going to buy a antec 1200 first tho, i need more room! ^^
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:25:23 PM

edgaraslt said:
Is 955 @ 3.8ghz @ 1.375v normal?
temps 59-61. But isn't voltage criticaly low? Prime95 hasn't crashed yet.

cooler in sig.


I would say the voltages seem very good, as not so much on the temps! Those temps seem a little high, i would never let it run at 60c for a consistent amount of time!

I have my 965 and my 940 set to shutdown after 15 secs of being 60c+

As the max i for you processor i believe is 62c? :o  So if you just testing for the stability, make sure u don't let that thing get over 60!
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:34:57 PM

^
My chip do run hot. Even with a aftermarket heatsink.
Now testing 3.8ghz@ 1.35v and it runs prime blend at 60c-61c
Could be that I'm not the happy one to get cool chip, as you are.


m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:40:38 PM

Best answer selected by ChaseMerola.
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:47:33 PM

edgaraslt said:
^
My chip do run hot. Even with a aftermarket heatsink.
Now testing 3.8ghz@ 1.35v and it runs prime blend at 60c-61c
Could be that I'm not the happy one to get cool chip, as you are.


I indeed do beleive that i must be a lucky chip, or the weird combo with mobo/ram, idk.

As for you temps tho that still seems really high,are you not worried of frying the chip with keeping you temps that close to max? :non: 

1. HSF being blocked by anything?
2. Got good airflow through case?
3. Ambient temp of your room?
4. How many fans in the case? Might think about repositioning them till you find a good solution?

That is the only thing i can think of.. :heink: 
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 4:49:45 PM

1. Guess not
2. antec two hundred 12cm/14cm exhaust , 12cm intake


Also Ive got BSOD when I tried to set multiplier to 19. Is that normal? Because when i set it to x19 overdrive shows 4,7ghz target speed
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2011 4:58:44 PM

edgaraslt said:
1. Guess not
2. antec two hundred 12cm/14cm exhaust , 12cm intake


Also Ive got BSOD when I tried to set multiplier to 19. Is that normal? Because when i set it to x19 overdrive shows 4,7ghz target speed


Hey edgar start a new thread something like "my 955 is running hot " or something like that....This thread is not on your problem...I will be glad to help you out.
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 5:00:03 PM

edgaraslt said:
1. Guess not
2. antec two hundred 12cm/14cm exhaust , 12cm intake


Also Ive got BSOD when I tried to set multiplier to 19. Is that normal? Because when i set it to x19 overdrive shows 4,7ghz target speed


post a cpuz validation of your 3.8ghz maby we can find out whats going on. What is the temperature of the room that the computer is in?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2011 5:02:56 PM

BTW Chase ....Why are you gonna change HSF? When it is performing on par with BIg Air aftermarket coolers already......
m
0
l
June 12, 2011 5:11:58 PM

lowjack989 said:
BTW Chase ....Why are you gonna change HSF? When it is performing on par with BIg Air aftermarket coolers already......


I figured it was more of the chip rather than the hsf itself, if you believe if more of the hsf then i'm not going to waste any money on something i do not need!

I figured if it was the chip, i could get even colder temps to try and push it even further with same temps as i am pulling right now.

~4.4+ would be.. well.. [:dav0r:5]
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2011 5:24:48 PM

Thats a touchy issue....If you were to get the Antec 1200 that would lower the temp itself that thing moves some serious AIR...Hell, you still got headroom as far as the temp goes right now to try for higher clocks.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 6:53:29 AM

chasemerola said:
Hey everyone, I am opening this because I didn't know if it might be able to help other Phenom II 965 owners. I have successfully managed to get to 4.2Ghz Stable on air with stock yes STOCK cooler. After trial and error of trying to get it that high and remain 24hr with prime, the solution wasn't what i expected it to be.. I had given up at this point but decided to try something a little different.

First Off.... Specs are as followed:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3
MSI 750-G55
G.Skill DDR3 1066

Anyhow I'll rap this up quick.

1. Set Power Options to Power Saver (In Windows)
2. Entered Bios
3. Enabled AMD Cool & Quiet
4. Ensured Everything was set to - Auto - (All Voltages, and FSB)
(Everything Except the Multiplier)
5. Set Multiplier to 21
6. Restarted Computer
7. Ran Prime95 for 24 Hours twice with no problems, and have ran 3Dm6 maxed out 4 times. No errors.

4.3,4&5 is a no go tho.

As for this 4.2Ghz
Will post more pics if you guys need! Hope this helps someone?! Happy clocking! :bounce: 

Validation
]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1860341.png

Dude, if your voltages are set to auto your pc will up the voltage by itself. They are known to over compensate so you may be overvolting by quite a bit. Be careful.
m
0
l
!