What/which HDD and why ?

pining

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hey,

Well , I was considering buying a new HDD but then I actually asked myself if there are actually differences between HDD's other than size ?

So yeah I was looking for a HDD with atleast 1TB since the one I have right now is like 290GB which is pretty small IMO.

If anyone could help me , thank you :D

Bobbie ~

tecmo34

Administrator
I would look at the Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB drive. It is the updated / faster version of the original. I'm running the original version and it is a great drive... IMO. It can rival the Western Digital Velicoraptors in performance since it is based on two 500GB platters.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

Spinpoint F3 is the best "bang for your buck" drive.

pining

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hmmm , seems like I'm gonna delay buying it for some while , so I had this other question :p

The HDD I am currently using is "Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 ATA Device" or "Hitachi Deskstar 7K500" not sure which one tbh.
So I was wondering, will I have other (noticable) differences when upgrading it ? (aside from space ofcourse)

Err sorry for the double post ? :??:
And thanks !!,

Bobbie ~

D

Deleted member 217926

It will be much faster resulting in less loading time. The newer 500GB per platter hard drives are as fast as the older Raptor/Velociraptor drives. You will notice it.

pining

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Well that's good to hear :D,

I have also been reading some more about HDD speeds and stuff , and I read something about raid 0 ?? people say putting HDDs in raid 0 is much faster or something , is that possible for me too if I would get 2 of these HDDs ?

thanks !,

Bobbie ~

D

Deleted member 217926

RAID is best left alone if you do not understand it. It does help if you are moving huge files around but not so much in daily use. Also you have 2 hard drives tied together and if 1 dies you lose everything.