Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking e8400 on Air w/ ASUS P5k-e/wifi-ap

Last response: in Overclocking
June 10, 2011 1:13:53 AM

I've had my computer with the specs listed above running everything at stock speeds for a couple years now, and i just was sitting at my computer and thought "why?"

Antec Quattro 800
Patriot DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12
Asus p5k-e/wifi-ap
Intel e8400 @ 3.0 GHz
Aftermarket heat sink, similar to http://www.amazon.com/THERMALRIGHT-HR-02-FANLESS-DESIGN... Copper heat pipes and aluminium fins I think
Sapphire 4870 1GB

I've done some light research and attempted an overclock, which basically caused my pc to restart and set everything back to stock. so i'd call it unsuccessful. I looked over a couple of forums for info both on oc'ing with the board and with the chip and neither revealed much that made sense to me. I do a lot of work with computers but when it comes to playing with voltages and timings i'm utter garbage. Any tips to get me started on this one? I think all I really need is a jumping point and a good direction and i should be able to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for the help!
June 11, 2011 3:11:06 PM

I would guess that your RAM may not be the most OC friendly. As you raise the FSB you're raising the memory clocks as well since they are linked. The trick is to adjust the ratio the RAM is multiplied by.

At stock settings:
CPU @ 3.0Ghz = 333FSB x 9(CPU multiplier)
RAM @ 800Mhz = 333FSB x 6:5(memory ratio) x 2 (DDR2 standard to double clocks)

A final OC setting might look like this after increasing the FSB and adjusting memory ratios:
CPU @ 3.6Ghz = 400FSB x 9(CPU multiplier) = 3600Mhz
RAM @ 800Mhz = 400FSB x 1:1(memory ratio) x 2 (DDR2 standard to double clocks)

This is the general math behind the idea, the names in your bios will differ, but they are in there.

Take baby steps and stress test often. Ideally full CPU load temps will be 60C. Increase CPU/north bridge voltage if you have stability issues and want to push the OC further.

Don't go overboard at first, things could blow up.

I've been stable for 3 years with an E8200 @ 3.6 and settings look something like this:
CPU @ 3.6Ghz = 450FSB x 8 CPU multiplier
RAM @ 1080Mhz = 450FSB x 6:5 memory ratio x 2 (DDR2 standard multi)

Specs
E8200 @ 3.6
Kingston DDR2 1066 @ 1080
Asus P5K-SE
Antec Earthwatts 650
m
l
June 11, 2011 8:41:47 PM

I did some playing around, got it to boot at 3.6 GHz and with the RAM at 5-5-5-15 and 801 MHz. I had manually set the RAM to that in the BIOS but does that still mean it's technically OC'D due to the FSB being higher?

Either way, I was getting intermittent blue screens about an hour into use at random times (once on youtube, once in CIV V) and it seemed to not like what I was doing. "Uncorrectable Hardware Error" Which i had never seen associated with RAM before but i'm not sure either way. I've got it running back at stock but i'll probably tinker with it again soon.

EDIT: Temps were running at 41~ at idle and 65 max under full load, which apparently other people have been seeing with this chip but haven't been too concerned about. it's the 45nm version so i thought it should run a little cooler than that though.
m
l
July 27, 2014 5:39:05 PM

how many watts is your PSU when your doing a amd crossfire on radeon i recommend dont OC because this is a crossfire board and when u cross fire like 3 radeon u need more watts than it like crossair for more power but if u have a power like 3 amd cards for amd crossfire and like 1000 watts plus you OC thats ok to you just dont let your pc smoke like a BBQ
m
l
!