Does Cool and Quiet "choke" my Overclock?

dzwestwindsor

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I overclocked to 3.304 Ghz, with my AMD Athlon 2.8 ghz X2.

With Cool and Quiet turned off, I read 3304 mhz. That's good.

But with Cool and Quiet turned on, I have never seen it go past 2.8 ghz. Even when doing stress tests, it reads only 2.8. Not the 3.3 I overclocked too.

I'm only afraid that Cool and Quiet is chocking my overclock, and limiting my CPU from spinning out 3.3 ghz.

Is this possible? Should I disable CandQ? Or should I leave it on? I'm afraid my CPU is going to last a shorter amount of time if it's running at 3.3 ALL the time.

What should I do?

(I'm on linux, btw)

Thank you

Solution
with that overclock and C&Q turned on, actually it is running at 3.3ghz. Linux standard and windows index will show u ur default stock clock no matter what. Check ur cpu speed with CPU-Z. That will show ur true clock speed of ur cpu. Yes, with C&Q turned on, without any usage, cpu will automatically underclock, which i think its good as it will back to 3.3 ghz if ur open any applications that can maximized ur cpu usage.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
CnQ and C1E should be disabled--->set your OC--->use either prime95 or OCCT to see if you got it stable...You will have to set your OC and leave it until you don't need then go back and set BIOS back to defaults when you don't need it, as CnQ is gonna take it back down to default under load and drop the clock down to like 800 MHz@1.0v under minimal load...It a power saving feature so it kinda defeats the purpose of OCing anyway....Intel's Speedstep works better as it allows for OCing and scales as such. With CnQ enabled while OCing a 965 it OCed but never did it fall back to CnQ i.e. power saving settings...To answer your question though disable powersaving i.e. C1E/CnQ feature while OCing AMD

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
hm... i got the ahtlon ii x2 which is 2.9ghz and i overclocked it to 3.3ghz with amd overdrive with cool n quiet enabled...
in my machine cool and quiet just reduces the multiplier when the processor is idle and cranks back to 3.3 when i do anything processor heavy..
when i game it stays at 3.3ghz

dzwestwindsor

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

That's interesting.. because that's what I've been reading in other forums. But Cool and Quiet somehow doesn't acknowledge the fact that my bus speed is at 236... or does it?

When running benchmark tests, with QandC disabled (which reads 3.3ghz), I get pretty much the same results as with QandC enabled (reading only 2.8ghz).

So I'm wondering if it's really a false reading. But I highly doubt it.. considering with CnQ turned off it reads fine... but then why are my benchmark tests revving out the same results?

but another question.

Would disabling cool and quiet be harmful to my chip? As in.. would its lifespan be reduced? My temps are about 45 -48 underload. Idle is usually 39-41. Would its lifespan be reduced if i disable CnQ and leave it running at 3.3 ghz all the time?

Thanks

sHuib86

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
with that overclock and C&Q turned on, actually it is running at 3.3ghz. Linux standard and windows index will show u ur default stock clock no matter what. Check ur cpu speed with CPU-Z. That will show ur true clock speed of ur cpu. Yes, with C&Q turned on, without any usage, cpu will automatically underclock, which i think its good as it will back to 3.3 ghz if ur open any applications that can maximized ur cpu usage.

Solution

dzwestwindsor

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
This time I enabled CnQ, and started up Prime95 and checked perlmon.

Even with both cores loaded 100%, perlmon still says I'm at 2.8 ghz.

In BIOS, do I set multiplier to Auto? Or should I set it to X14? If I set it to X14 Cool and Quiet doesn't work.. it just stays at 3.3ghz or so

hm...

(EDIT: It's okay, who cares what it says I'm running at. As long as it's really overclocked, I'm fine.)

Thanks for your help