Blued downloads

A few of my downloads have shown up in the game blued out. There's just
this blue "hole" where the object should be. Does this mean University
is required and the object won't show up because I haven't installed it
yet, or something else?

--
--Cuth

On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:57:33 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
<chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

>A few of my downloads have shown up in the game blued out. There's just
>this blue "hole" where the object should be. Does this mean University
>is required and the object won't show up because I haven't installed it
>yet, or something else?

Yes, it's usually version incompatability. Either University required
or object is not university compatible.

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:q9cf91tn73f4ftce5rl53jl7jaourjs3h0@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:57:33 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
> <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>A few of my downloads have shown up in the game blued out. There's just
>>this blue "hole" where the object should be. Does this mean University
>>is required and the object won't show up because I haven't installed it
>>yet, or something else?
>
> Yes, it's usually version incompatability. Either University required
> or object is not university compatible.

Or the object was renamed :(
Never rename an object as it can cause it to be unusable or cause it to show
up blue.

On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:30:44 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:

>Or the object was renamed :(
>Never rename an object as it can cause it to be unusable or cause it to show
>up blue.

You're joking right? I *have* noticed that objects sometimes misbehave
and the ingame system doesn't completely work. Such as if you delete
the corresponding object *before* you delete the texture, you get some
odd behavior...

She isn't.

:'(

I've seen objects stop working in my game when all I did was rename them. It
doesn't always happen, but often enough to make it not worth the while. BG2
explained it to me once that the object actually carries a record of it's
name inside it. If you change it's external name after creation it can get
some sort of identity crisis and stop working.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

in message news:d3tg91h8ptbq6m5n3agaabkg1n8d7gmnsc@4ax.com...

> She isn't.
>
> :'(
>
> I've seen objects stop working in my game when all I did was rename them.
> It
> doesn't always happen, but often enough to make it not worth the while.
> BG2
> explained it to me once that the object actually carries a record of it's
> name inside it. If you change it's external name after creation it can get
> some sort of identity crisis and stop working.
>
> --
> Morituri Nolumus Mori
>
> MM

Exactly!!! The objects structure are based on the name the creator
originally named them. You can rename the object using simpe by opening it
in simpe and using the 'Save as' option, but if you rename it thru windows
explorer then it messes it up.
Not absolutely sure here, but I think it does not work the same for floors
and walls, as I think they can be renamed okay. Still with floors and
walls, I open them in simpe and use the 'Save as' option to rename them
myself.

> "Guardian Pegasus"
> <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va>
> wrote
> in message news:d3tg91h8ptbq6m5n3agaabkg1n8d7gmnsc@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:30:44 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Or the object was renamed :(
>> >Never rename an object as it can cause it to be unusable or cause it to
> show
>> >up blue.
>>
>> You're joking right? I *have* noticed that objects sometimes misbehave
>> and the ingame system doesn't completely work. Such as if you delete
>> the corresponding object *before* you delete the texture, you get some
>> odd behavior...

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:d3tg91h8ptbq6m5n3agaabkg1n8d7gmnsc@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:30:44 -0400, "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote:
>
>>Or the object was renamed :(
>>Never rename an object as it can cause it to be unusable or cause it to
>>show
>>up blue.
>
> You're joking right? I *have* noticed that objects sometimes misbehave
> and the ingame system doesn't completely work. Such as if you delete
> the corresponding object *before* you delete the texture, you get some
> odd behavior...

I never joke, haven't you noticed this before? See sig.
Unless of course I have used a :)

--
---------------------------
Somewhere along the way I have lost my sense of humor.

Yup - you can rename everything, except the objects, with abandon (oh -
don't know about hacks though but you'd unlikely to want to change them
anyway). I have renamed some objects in the past but since I started making
them I realise that the internal name of the object is supposed to match the
external one and that renaming can cause problems.

Best wishes
Maxon

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> > She isn't.
> >
> > :'(
> >
> > I've seen objects stop working in my game when all I did was rename
them.
> > It
> > doesn't always happen, but often enough to make it not worth the while.
> > BG2
> > explained it to me once that the object actually carries a record of
it's
> > name inside it. If you change it's external name after creation it can
get
> > some sort of identity crisis and stop working.
> >
> > --
> > Morituri Nolumus Mori
> >
> > MM
>
> Exactly!!! The objects structure are based on the name the creator
> originally named them. You can rename the object using simpe by opening
it
> in simpe and using the 'Save as' option, but if you rename it thru windows
> explorer then it messes it up.
> Not absolutely sure here, but I think it does not work the same for floors
> and walls, as I think they can be renamed okay. Still with floors and
> walls, I open them in simpe and use the 'Save as' option to rename them
> myself.

I rename hacks all the time to track where I got them and who made them - no
problemo!

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM