HELP! Really strange symptoms!

gorgerax

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
HI all! I've been building my own (and friends and families) PC's for years. I'm not a noob but there is always someone who knows a LOT more so...

A couple of months ago, my 2 year old, trusty C2D started acting strange...it would just turn off and then wouldn't post. Nothing. Nada. If I let it set overnight or cleared the CMOS I MIGHT get it running; but it wouldn't last.

So, I decided it was the mobo. Bought and installed the highly rated Asrock P45XE with all my old components and it ran like a top! I am running WIn 7 and all was good. I even bought a new video card and all was still well. So I decided I would get a E5200 and see how high it would overclock. A simple prcoess...open the case, pull all the cables, pull out the mobo; throw in the new CPU and put it all back together...

But that's when everything went bad (again) first, WIN 7 complained and reinstalled many of the drivers! Then I noticed the CPU was stuck at 1400mhz (7x200) WTF?! All of the options to set the mutliplier were greyed out in the bios...even the overclocking ones! (BTW the factory multiplier is 12.5 on the E5200) I finally tried clearing the CMOS...then in the BIOS I hit "load default"...three times and then the CPU was correct (12.5x200) but then when I tried to reboot; it wouldn't boot! Not even post! It would power up, the fan would run for maybe 5 seconds, power off and kept cycling like this!

If I unplugged it and let it set for hours, it would boot and after a few times of WIN 7 complaining that I had installed a bad camera (!?) it booted and everything "seemed" fine. I even ram prime 95 for 10 hours. However, after letting it go into standby, the familiar thing started up again! No post!

Any ideas what else it could be? Help! LOL

gorgerax

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Power supply would be my bet, POSTing seems to be the first issues when they start going bad, what make and model is yours? also what CPU did you switch from to go to the E5200?

The PS is an Antec SmartPower 500 Watt and I replaced an original Conroe E6300 (1.8ghz)

Thanks for your reply!