Need advice - Hard drive config, New Build,

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

I will be building my first system and I really could use some advice from all you pros out there.

I have a Corsair 700D case which has a total of 6 HDD trays. I will be using my system mostly for professional work, but eventually for some hard-core gaming.

So far, I have decided on the following
1. 1 Intel G-2 boot drive (maybe a G-3 version if Intel stops playing games and releases it)
2. 4 Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200RPM hard drives

QUESTIONS
1. I'll have an extra hard drive slot available. Should I utilize it for something?
2. What kind of RAID setup / backup configuration would you recommend? Partition? Etc.
3. Any other advice you can offer?

Again, I'm a "newbie" at this so please be gentle. But I am looking for the best configuration possible. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Jack500

hcwilli

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

Good question, I am fairly new at this myself and am upgrading an older system with 2 existing WD Raptor drives and want to use a OCZ Vertex 2 as my boot drive. I have had a hard time finding information on the best RAID setup for this configuration. On another forum somebody suggested I spend some time on the OCZ site and would find my answer there. Perhaps there is also information on the Intel site as well. In any case I hope somebody responds to this and will help us both out.
Thanks for posting good question. If I find a good answer I will post back here.

Jack500

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I want to put Windows 7 64-bit on SDD. MS Office 2010 perhaps?
I don't have any other apps that I need a fast setup, but I'm sure that will change by the end of this year.

What other stuff should I consider placing on SSD boot drive?

hcwilli

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks Mosox for response,

I was considering putting OS plus a few other programs (Adobe video and photo editing) & games (Warcraft/Starcraft) on SSD for fast boot and use HDD for other.
However I'm concerned because I understand SSD TRIM doesn't work in RAID. What is proper configuration for SSD (1) plus HDD (2 or more).

Look forward to your answers

hcwilli

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

By the way, I already have the two WD Velociraptor drives in my system (also a 750GB WD Caviar) and got the new Vertex 2 120GB SSD for my birthday recently.
So given that, what would you do?

I am currently running Vista and I am planning to do a clean load of Windows 7 64 bit when I change the storage configuration.

Thanks again.