ATI 3650 messed up my sound?

johnwccres

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I have an ATI 9800 and onboard sound on my Abit NF7 motherboard using Realtek AC97 drivers. Running XP.

I tried to install an Powercolor ATI 3650 AGP card my friend gave me. Having installed the drivers and rebooting, the system would not boot - hung at Windows splash screen. I think this is because my PSU is not powerful enough.

That's not the problem though. When I uninstalled the 3650 and reinstalled the 9800, it seems my sound has been messed up. The microphone no longer works - when I try to speak, people just hear my sound output - music etc - but not my voice. Like it has been set to 5.1 sound. It does not appear that it has though - it is set to desktop stereo 2 speakers, which is what I have.

I tried uninstalling he AC97 drivers and reinstalling but it doesn't help. It is the same using a different mic. I even did a system restore to a point before I tried the 3650, but it makes no difference.

The 3650 says it comes with 5.1 sound over HDMI - is it possible it changed my sound settings somehow?

I'd be grateful if anyone can help.

johnwccres

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
maybe it did, but it is not set at that now - the only options showing are for AC97 and Modem - it is set to AC97.

I'm thinking the problem is to do with the fact that the board didn't work and I uninstalled the drivers again. The PC did not successfully boot into Windows after the 3650 drivers were loaded.

JaNUS_60

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

Have a look on XP System Restore point and if you can return the computer back to the point before trying that 3650 card...

E.g. Start - Run
%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
It's somewhere in Control Panel as well...

Possibly you still need to re-install drivers for 9800 after that but other system settings should return to earlier stauts as they were

JaNUS_60

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

So system restore can't even bring it back.

Have a look on
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Note to run it in Safe Mode

hailstones

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Take a look at the BIOS setup for sound - if Auto, set to Enable, save & reboot. I had same problem on a 3450. It may work for you. This was ATI/ASUS support desk suggestion.

johnwccres

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. I never did properly solve this. I bypassed the onboard audio by getting a cheap soundcard and that has sorted me out.