Please help! (Problem with PSU?)

LordKintaro

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Hello all!

I finally got around to making my very first homebuilt computer today. I got all the parts I wanted, but when I put it all together, nothing happened when I plugged it in. When I turned it on, the psu's light turned red and the motherboard's light went blue, but nothing moves, none of the fans turn, nothing to show that the computer is actually working besides the blue light from the motherboard. When I push the power button on the computer, I hear a whine or a strange continuous sound coming from the psu.

Specs:
Core i7 920 2.66
XCLIO Stable Power 1000W PSU
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI Motherboard
2x GTX 285 SLI'd
6GB OGZ Gold RAM
1TB Western Digital HD
Samsung DVD Burner
Wireless Adapter

I'm sure I forgot something in the specs, if I missed anything important please let me know.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
heatsink?

on the sound, try doing some cable management since it might just be that something is hitting the fan.

for the not booting up problem, try the memory in the other coloured slots.

LordKintaro

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
...what? Maybe I'm not wording this right. My PSU's power indicator turns red, is this a problem, or is it normal? The PSU is a XCLIO Stable Power 1000W.

When I press the power button on the computer, the computer does nothing, I only hear a whine from the PSU. I know the memory cards are in the right slots, I followed the directions exactly.

What does heatsink have to do with anything?

LordKintaro

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I can't check half of those things because the computer won't turn on, won't start, is completely INACTIVE. I just want to know if it's a faulty PSU. Don't skip over everything and send me a useless link.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Its no use getting frustrated LordKintaro. If you want to know it's your PSU, get another one and swap it out. If your comp works with that one then it was the PSU, if not then you know its a component in the system. Trial and error is the best way to solve this stuff but we can only point you in the right direction. A red light on the PSU is generally a good sign that it's at least taking power from the wall; refer to your PSU's instruction manual that should have come with it, if not, get in touch with XCLIO and see if theres a downloadable PDF for your model. Or you can get in touch with them and talk to tech support.

One of the FIRST things to do when assembling a new build is to verify the PS you are going to use Works. A defective "new" PSU could (NOT WILL) wipe out MB and or other components. The probability of getting a defective PSU is low and decreases as the brand quallity increases. No Idea what the "quality" of XCLIO is.

For about 15 - 20 Bucks you can get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705002
Bear in mind this is not the best test as it only provides a minimium load, But at least it will indicate that at min load the voltage out puts are within limits. You can also place the tester on and connect a case fan to the molex connectors.

No case fans rotating means no +12V where the fan is plugged in. The high pitch whine (probably the 20 KHz switching circuit or a defective Xformer) when the computer is turned on and NO case fan on (Connected to a molex) most probably (1) defective PSU, or (2) a short on one of the output supply lines. Would Not Connect this PSU until you verify the out puts - If PSU checks good, then:

(1) remove Mother board and place on table.
(2) remove Graphic cards and Memory.
(3) connect a case fan to molex and connect power to MB - Power on. Case fan should spin and a Beep/light telling you it can not complet post.
(4) Power off (PSU rocker sw). and 1 graphic card and memory. Retry.
(5) Still OK - add 2nd GPU.
(6) Still OK - Reassemble in case and try. Play close attention to no short to ground

PS. I normally also recommend anyone assembling a new build invst in a cheap DVM and learn how to use it to measure voltage and resistance. NOT Hard to learn.
A cheap DVM, or even a cheap analog meter) + a PSU test is less than 10% of your out lay. (DVM come in handy for around the house/car))