Sign in with
Your question

VRM coolers

Last response: in Overclocking
June 10, 2011 8:19:08 AM

I want to cool the vrm things on my msi gtx 460 cyclone. Right now I run @ 1.087mV. I want to go a little higher because furmark barely make it get to 60C at max overclock in summer. What do you guys suggest to cool them? Can I just use any motherboard mosfet cooler set? Anyone done this kind of thing before?

Is there away to push my card's voltage any higher through afterburner and not a bios flash? I remembered reading about a way to do it, however, it has since been removed.

More about : vrm coolers

June 10, 2011 6:36:18 PM

The gtx 460 only goes up to 1.087 in MSI Afterburner, because it locked to safe voltages. The cyclone cooler does a pretty good job of cooling vrm by its self.
m
l
June 10, 2011 6:40:03 PM

If you want to go farther than that then you have to unlock your gpu bios. Which you can do by doing this.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2011 6:57:21 PM

If they're only hitting 60C, I don't really see a need to cool them. While you may be able to fit MOSFET or VGA heatsinks to the VRMs, is it really necessary? It is the only solution I can think of as well, but you couldn't use just any old heatsink.

Of course you start by getting precise measurements of the VRM area. (I suppose it's areas, technically...) Then you could either search for heatsinks the exact sizes needed, or larger ones you could mill to fit. (And I do mean mill. I doubt you'd want to have to sand something so small by hand having to start with ~200-grit and work your way to something much finer.)

Final challenge would be finding something to bond them, and I suppose something that preferably isn't permanent so they can be removed should their use show no benefit. That means avoiding thermal tape. And with no pressure or mounting points on the card itself, thermal padding may not be sticky enough to keep the heatsinks attached on it's own after repeated heat cycling.
m
l
June 12, 2011 3:36:51 AM

I don't know how hot the vrm's are. But I know they have more stress on them now since I upped the volts.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2011 12:32:13 PM

I figured the 60C temp was that of the VRM itself...

GPU-Z can monitor each individual temp sensor within a card. While it doesn't have a real-time overlay like Afterburner, it can continuously monitor and record the card's temps, voltages, load, frequency, and fan speed while running in the background.
m
l
!