Graphic Card for HTPC

reign528

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I have an HP Media Center 3.0GHZ 4GB RAM Running Windows 7 RC 64 bit with a 128MB Intel Integrated graphic card

Right now I have a HTPC hooked up to my TV via VGA. Picture quality is great but Windows Media Center is still not as quick as it could be. I think updating the graphic card should help it out. I am looking for a graphics card that would make my system more efficient while running Windows Media Center and support Windows Aero - my integrated card isnt compatible.

Im not a big PC gamer and Im not looking for a game to support the latest games (have a PS3) I do like to play some basic games though like Starcraft II (when it finally arrives) so just a card that can run less demanding game

My budget is around $100 not more than $120.
Im looking for a PCI or an AGP compatible graphic card. I dont have PCI express slots :(

FYI
My TV supports 1080i
BLU Ray support would be a plus
7.1 Surround Sound would be a plus
HDMI not necessary unless it provides better picture than VGA

Thanks in Advance!!

A big fan usually equals less noise and more CFM's.

The only concern that you may have with the HD4650 is whether or not your stock HP power supply is putting out enough amps to run it without stability issues. How many amps does your +12V rail have?

BTW, the card needs 6-pin supplemental power. The card comes with a molex to 6-pin adapter to power the card if you have spare molex connectors though.

reign528

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
So. I hadnt look into my HTPC PC in a while. And what do you know. I dont have an AGP slot. I have 4 computers so I must of got them mixed up. Sorry rwppritchett. I should of checked before. Thanks goodness I looked because I was seriously gonna purchase it.

Im looking at this. Any opinions or better PCI cards?
JATON VIDEO-498PCI-DLP GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 $96
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139046

None of the PCI cards available will be sufficient for gaming. Since you are limited to PCI, maybe you can set your sites lower and go for a 8400GS or 9400GT and save yourself some money. That being said, still the 9500GT should work nicely for an HTPC if you don't mind spending $96 on an older system.