Sign in with
Your question

New Build $500-$700 depending on options

Last response: in Systems
June 18, 2009 7:42:23 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: with in the next few days BUDGET RANGE: $500-$700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming/ripping movies/internet surfing etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Hard drive, PSU Anitec 600w (can't remember the exact model) I have an Operating system and I may or may not stick a new hard drive in there.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am leaning towards the Following parts on Newegg.com

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Current total from new egg $484.96

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I really like ASUS motherboards and the idea of a 5 sec. boot to a linux for quick check of email, weather, etc. I'm not going to run raid or anything like that. I really want to have a board with eSATA. ASUS makes so many boards I'm wondering if there might be a better combo out there that I have overlooked? ASrock perhaps? Right now I'm pretty sold on the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 but again I'm open to suggestions. I have checked out the ASUS website and the memory I have picked out above is on their qualified vendor list for the P5Q Pro Turbo board. But again, I'm not married to ASUS I just know their rep and like the 5 sec. boot thingy. Will I run into a problem if I use a memory that is not on the qualified vendor list? Can I get a bit more bang for my buck by looking at some different options? I also want to update my DVD ROM And burner to SATA drives but I need something extremely reliable for double layer disks. And finally, I was kicking around the idea of getting a new video card. I think a single card for now will work. I might like to move up to SLI or Crossfire at some point in the future but its not 100% necessary at the moment.

Thanks again for your input and I look forward to reading your opinions.
June 18, 2009 8:05:56 AM

Hi atomcooper, any plans to include a video card with your proposed build? You are planning to play games right? May I suggest at least a 9800 GT?

I know that Asus mobo overclocks well with Duos, but I'm not sure how well it works with Quads. In any case, it supports SLI IIRC.
June 18, 2009 1:33:02 PM

le13enforce said:
Hi atomcooper, any plans to include a video card with your proposed build? You are planning to play games right? May I suggest at least a 9800 GT?

I know that Asus mobo overclocks well with Duos, but I'm not sure how well it works with Quads. In any case, it supports SLI IIRC.

I have a Palit 8800gt 1gig card that has been meeting my needs pretty well so far. I am considering reusing it in this build but I'm open to suggestions for a replacement. I really haven't read up on video cards in a while so I'm not sure what is considered a good value vs performance these days.
Related resources
June 18, 2009 1:42:42 PM

And about the graphics card, if that 8800GT serves your needs well, then don't upgrade your card now...In few months time, both ATI and Nvidia are set to launch newer cards and you can expect even mainstream cards at decent prices...Upgrade then...
June 18, 2009 1:54:09 PM

Isn't it true though gkay, that there was rumors about there being a totally new socket for amd so am3 doesnt have much upgradability either? Not saying am3 isn't a better way to go just mentioning that statement.

Things you picked for the lga side will work a great while even if lga has stopped making parts.

Here's a different ram pick with still a good CL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hopefully they fixed the bricking problem with most seagates because i liked seagate alot.

But, if you really like the intel side, heres a combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
Q9550
ASUS P5Q Pro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ

$392

If you didnt get the HDD yet, you could get a 4770 which will allow you to Crossfire later on and will be a way better gpu than the 8800

June 18, 2009 3:31:29 PM

Well it was rumor'd that the next processor was "soon to come" a guess a month back, been a while since i've been on and researched. Guess every thing changed from then. People were saying, ohh am3 wont have much of an upgrade once this "new" processor comes out, yada yada.
June 19, 2009 5:25:34 AM

@fullmetal Yes there are rumours that there will be newer CPUs from AMD but not any time soon...
And like intel did with i7, AMD would launch those CPUs side-by-side of the old line-up and then slowly phase them out...So with the given scenario, atleast for 2 years AM3 is here to stay and till then they would be launching new CPUs for that socket...
June 23, 2009 1:53:29 PM

Quote:
The intel CPUs wont take advantage of RAM speeds over DDR2 800MHz
Ok.... that one threw me for a loop. Can anyone point me to a reference where I can bring myself up to speed on that Idea? I'm sure that this is basic info... I "thought" I understood the intro to overclocking thread but I must have missed somthing vital for this to be a new concept for me.
June 23, 2009 5:48:09 PM

Why buy their left over stock? well first, the Q9550 will perform not much behind a i7, cost less, by the time he will need to upgrade, it will be way down the road to where there will be newer things out that we wont even know which socket it is.
Why not get LGA 775 if the chip can still out perform alot of the newer dated chips?
June 23, 2009 6:26:22 PM

Do not assume that you can unlock the cores and even if you do it will not overclock as high as a native quad would have. A P2 955 performs similarly to the Q9550 and the AM3 socket supports DDR3 and will give you better odds of being able to hang onto your motherboard in the future, but if you want to save some money a P2 720 will give you a third core and most games only run on 2 so that leaves you a third to run background tasks while being significantly cheaper.
June 23, 2009 7:44:18 PM

atomcooper said:
Quote:
The intel CPUs wont take advantage of RAM speeds over DDR2 800MHz
Ok.... that one threw me for a loop. Can anyone point me to a reference where I can bring myself up to speed on that Idea? I'm sure that this is basic info... I "thought" I understood the intro to overclocking thread but I must have missed somthing vital for this to be a new concept for me.

He may have phrased that wrong. What was meant was that you won't get any real world benefits from running the RAM at higher frequencies than needed. If you are overclocking, then you might need something beyond 800Mhz to match the FSB.

I don't think the Asus quick boot to Linux feature is very important. I thought it was cool when I first got my board, but now it's gone, removed due to lack of use.

The thing is, most modern boards with AMD or Intel chipsets work quite well in sleep mode, providing the rest of your parts are decent. My PC can wake up from a full sleep mode just as fast as it can boot into Linux. The whole Linux thing made a little more sense when I was dual booting XP and Vista, because then I was more likely to boot at least sometimes.

!