Sign in with
Your question

High Memory Usage 3GB+ NEED HELP!

Last response: in Windows 7
September 26, 2011 2:18:51 AM

So I have a serious issue with my desktops memory usage. Heres the problem: My desktop is custom built(self), has 4GB of RAM. It's been hogging a lot of the memory lately and I have no idea on why this is happening.

Specs: MSI P6N SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @2.83
Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 625MHz/993MHz @45Degrees C
4HDD's Primary 160GB 250GB 2TB 40GB
2 Physical Optical drives, 1 Virtual
OCZ SLI 2GB DDR2 (2 Sticks)
550w PSU

The task manager states that I'm using up 3.xxGB of ram even though that is not the case. I manually calculated the total memory usage by adding up all the programs together and it turns out to be more like 1,338,756KB(1.33GB) Note: I have checked the "Show processes from all users" option.

I can take screenshots and what not if you need it necessary.

More about : high memory usage 3gb

September 26, 2011 2:50:56 AM

What version of windows are you using?
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2011 4:29:42 AM

I'm using Windows 7 64bit
From what I see in the photo you posted, you're not using all 8gb of your RAM since its 32bit. It shows that you're only available to allocate 3.5gb not all 8?

No its not right since I cannot load a game over 750mb without the entire computer suffocating. Because by then I am completely out of memory to use.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 4:40:32 AM

What's the total of the working set sizes for all your processes? You can find out by doing this:

Click "Start", type "Powershell" into the search box, right-click the "Windows Powershell" icon and select "Run as Administrator"

Type the following command into the PowerShell window and hit <Enter>:

get-process | measure-object ws -sum

m
l
September 26, 2011 4:49:56 AM

the pic posted is of my WORK pc, not the PC listed in my sig,

My Work PC is a Phenom II x4 920 (2.8g) with 4gb RAM and a 8800GTS vid card. sorry for the confusion.
m
l
September 26, 2011 4:50:36 AM

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\Mysduck> get-process | measure-object ws -sum

Count : 75
Average :
Sum : 1651400704
Maximum :
Minimum :
Property : WS

This is what I get, also I did a reboot before doing this.
As of right now, I have 2.22GB of memory used.
m
l
September 26, 2011 4:52:22 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
the pic posted is of my WORK pc, not the PC listed in my sig,

My Work PC is a Phenom II x4 920 (2.8g) with 4gb RAM and a 8800GTS vid card. sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for telling me, because for a moment there I got lost!
m
l
September 26, 2011 4:58:15 AM

What game are you playing that is suffocating the PC?

Win vista and 7 will try to use all the ram avaliable to them even at idle, this is to make windows as quick as possiable. if a process or application that requires ram is started then windows reallocates this ram for the process to use what it needs.

In that respect it functions much like an SQL server, it loads as much of the database as possiable into ram to perform at its best all the time.

Having RAM "FREE" is something from 98/XP when it would only use 500mb-1gb RAM. Comparing a Win XP with 2gb vs 4gb there wasnt much difference. yes games would obviously be better with 4gb but a fresh windows didnt make a big diff.

once an installation of windows go on a bit and a ton of programs got installed then the memory usage would go up.
m
l
September 26, 2011 5:01:52 AM

My work PC

Count : 73
Average :
Sum : 2436091904
Maximum :
Minimum :

I am talking about my work PC. as A. im infront of it right now, and B. its closer spec wise to what your computer is.

task manager shows 2.27gb RAM used
m
l
September 26, 2011 5:38:27 AM

There are 2 games that I'm playing right now that takes a little over 1gb, Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2. When I load up the game and join a server/match, it uses roughly 1gb. And every now and then the computer will choke/freeze for a few seconds, causing the audio to glitch repeat, then go back to normal. If I alt+tab out of it to go back to the desktop, it loads very, very sluggishly taking quite a while just to get there. Mouse has heavy stuttering movement during this.
m
l
September 26, 2011 5:56:45 AM

Alt tabbing from a game to windows (specially if the game is struggleing to load something) will always make it slow for a few seconds while resources are juggled from the game back to windows.

a good one is if you can secure an old monitor and keep the performance monitors open in the 2nd screen while playing.

this will add a little bit more load to the computer but then you can see whats going on at the exact time its happening.

i have seen Video card drivers cause this issue in the past.
does your HDD light go mad when this choke happens?
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 26, 2011 4:42:57 PM

macemaster11 said:
C:\Users\Mysduck> get-process | measure-object ws -sum

Count : 75
Average :
Sum : 1651400704
Maximum :
Minimum :

As of right now, I have 2.22GB of memory used.
OK, so what this is telling me is that the sum total of all your processes are using up about 1.65GB of RAM. Between that and the 2.22GB (reported by Task Manager, I assume) you're talking about a little less than 600MB. That's pretty close to the same as the similar measurements I took on my system, and I attribute most of that space to the Windows kernel, drivers, etc.

So your memory usage doesn't look unusual to me. If you want to reduce space, you can have a look at the specific processes that are using up that 1.65GB to see if there are any you can eliminate. For example you can use this PowerShell command:

get-process | sort ws

...to get a list of processes sorted by their working sets. The ones with the largest working sets (the "WS" column) will be the ones you'd want to investigate first.
m
l
!