Sign in with
Your question

Can I use this HDD as esata..

Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2011 7:43:54 AM

Hi
I have bought a Seagate SATA HDD and its specifications are..
Model Number ST31000524AS
Interface SATA 6Gb/s
Cache 32MB
Capacity 1TB
I am testing few ERP softwares on it and cze of that its OSes Keeps on getting corrupt and I have take out the hdd again and again ( I dont have my dvd rom with me..its out for repair) and thn get it reformatted from my other pc.

So I was thinking if i could get an esata enclosure (I hope it supports 1tb) for it and use it as an external hdd. Will I still be able to boot ? ( my mobo has an esata port).
And will it be too slow if i use that way?
thnks.

More about : hdd esata

March 5, 2011 1:00:14 PM

no E Sata is just as fast as internal Sata. I went out and got a NexStar CX http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/274 for My Seagate Barracuda Sata II 3gb/s 1TB. Mine works very well and am satisfied, I doubt between sata 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s would even matter in the real world.
m
l
a c 386 G Storage
March 5, 2011 1:53:07 PM

I don't think windows has the ability to boot from an external drive if that's what you are asking.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2011 2:17:35 PM

@Hawkeye22 I already have installed two OSes (windows ) on it so if I just put that disk in the enclosure and Using the boot options from the boot menu ( I have checked my bios it has the option to boot from esata)..wont it boot?
m
l
a c 315 G Storage
March 5, 2011 4:28:46 PM

oops2001 said:
@Hawkeye22 I already have installed two OSes (windows ) on it so if I just put that disk in the enclosure and Using the boot options from the boot menu ( I have checked my bios it has the option to boot from esata)..wont it boot?

It should - I've done it on a Dell machine. Some BIOSes won't boot off of USB drives, but an eSata drive and an Sata drive appear pretty much the same to the BIOS. At least on the two systems that I have played around with.
m
l
March 6, 2011 7:45:23 AM

thnks..so I can use the esata drive like an internal sata drive? for OS booting and running my programs on it? will it be too slow?
m
l
a c 315 G Storage
March 6, 2011 12:54:26 PM

oops2001 said:
thnks..so I can use the esata drive like an internal sata drive? for OS booting and running my programs on it? will it be too slow?

No, it won't be too slow. eSata is a minor modification of the SATA protocols to allow you to extend it outside the case. The speeds are SATA, the protocols are SATA, but it allows a longer cable length than SATA (2m? I don't recall) and has different signalling voltage specifications.

The latter is why I always recommend against using an eSata bracket connected to an SATA port on the motherboard. It may work, it may not, it is definitely out of spec.

Booting off an external drive is a bit risky - what if you accidentally move the drive and the cable gets disconnected? Just be aware of this.
m
l
!