Draneico

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm trying to make what I think is the final decision on my rig - the cpu cooler.

The system is setting out to be (gaming, home enthusiast photo&video editing) -

case: Fractal Design Define R3 - space above mobo ~165mm
cpu: i5-2500k, likely to overclock
ram: Ripjaw X, 2 sticks for 8g - height 40mm
mobo: ASRock z68 Extreme 4

My cooler choices are with heatsink dimensions:

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ $40 122*92*160 - note this one is sold out right now on newegg
Zerotherm Nirvana NV120PWM $50 128*95*150
Noctua NH-D14 $90 160*140*158
Noctua NH-C14 $90 105*140*160mm

chart for noise and thermal profiles

According to the good folks at frostytech the Noctua NH-C14 is the cat's meow. The Coolermaster Hyper212+ is generally the communities choice.

I have to add that I have a personal affinity for the name Noctua - which has nothing to do with their capability, but the superstitious side of me says Noctua FTW.

What say you?

EDIT: I fixed the URLS - shame on me

Solution
Noctuna NH-D14, just to show off. It's the biggest of those and it wil just fit... it will get that cpu to huge overclocks but has a big price tag.

the C14 wont do you much becouse of the colosed side of the Fractal Design Define R3.

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is the onlay 'normal' cooler, it's still extreme for slight overclocks but the price is good for it's preformance.

sap chicken

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Noctuna NH-D14, just to show off. It's the biggest of those and it wil just fit... it will get that cpu to huge overclocks but has a big price tag.

the C14 wont do you much becouse of the colosed side of the Fractal Design Define R3.

Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is the onlay 'normal' cooler, it's still extreme for slight overclocks but the price is good for it's preformance.

Solution

Draneico

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Jack - sorry about your addiction.

I went Noctua because a) they perform as good or better than I need and b) I pulled the name out of Gene Wolfe's the book of the New Sun series years ago for use in gaming - while its irl a type of moth, in his series it means the daughter of the night. Love that for a female thief/stealth. So common sense and practicality did not win out this time.